Long barrel foam gun?

I know they exist and I want one!

Anyone come across these from a UK or EU supplier - it has a 30" barrel and a longditudinal can mount. Sure, I'll ring the american supplier above, but it's worth asking anyway here - google is not turning up anything like that on a UK localised search.

I have an upcoming job to wedge celotex between my rafters and access is such that I cannot get a normal gun in to foam the celotex in round the wall plate and the awkward bit where the ceiling joists meet the rafters - which is awkward enough that it makes cutting celotex for a snug fit more or less impossible at that junction.

It's important to get a good vapour tight seal there as I cannot over coat it with vapour barrier PB and taping the joins across the rafters will be fairly impossible too. Further up the roofline it's no problem as I'll be able to get a second layer of 50mm under the rafters - but just isn't room though to do that down near the wall.

Please no one suggest putting a bit of tube on the end of a normal gun - did that for my bay window ceilings and half the foam ended up on me - still wearing the trousers to prove it! :-O

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Even the shorter ones come with a reduction to the diameter at the end that allows a tube to be stuck over it. The everbuild one (TS) comes with a couple of 8" tubes - however you could substitute a longer one if you like. Flexible tube like that used for a manometer hose would probably work best (or silicone tubing from a model shop). Stick a small pointy ridged end on it and you have the ideal tool for poking into holes anywhere and filling.

Yup, done that with aforementioned plastic tube - easiest when the can is mostly full since it will work further off the vertical as well.

Oops - should have read that bit first... How did it fail? Tube pop off the end? Perhaps a small jubilee clip is required.

A can of the foam cleaner is a very good idea to have about - that will take off any spilt but still wet foam from clothes and hands etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

True DIY spirit that!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

John Rumm wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 14:47

:->>>

Partly the tube falling off. But the main less easily solved problems where:

a) Trying to manipulate a gun with a can sticking out top which holding a long tube (40cm) and the gun constantly getting caught up in the timber work while trying to get close enough with the can mostly the right way up;

b) As the valve is at the start of the tube, not at the end, there's a fair volume of slightly expanded foam in the tube which makes control very difficult, eg stop the gun and the tube spews for a good 1/2 minute which is how I got so covered in gunk!

As I'm doing the next batch in close proximity to wiring etc, I'd rather not have foam flying everywhere. OK I can cover stuff, but life would be a million times better with that 30" gun :) Especially as I have the entire perimeter of the house to do and that's a lot of metres. I have no problem dispensing directly from the nozzel - I find it very controlled and I can make almost no mess.

As I said, it will get a lot easier once I have the first 500mm heightwise of insulation in - then it becomes a much more standard exercise. It's just these eves that are a bugger with the forest of dormer timberwork in front and random lumps of wood everywhere.

I think I used about 4 cans on the 3 bay windows ;-> Thinking it's probably cost neutral to buy that gun direct from New York! Mind, they said it's made in Italy - if noone else suggests a source, I'll ring them Monday PM and enquire. Obviously need to check if the can fittings are truely universal but it looks pretty normal.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

The Medway Handyman wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 16:00

Ah - the real man's DIY spirit would be to use it as an excuse to buy a lathe and make one.

But then I'd need a workshop (it's on the plan).

But I'd to do the insulating this year (300 quid/month leccy + 100 quid coal bills for 5 months do concentrate the mind!).

Reply to
Tim Watts

A bit of lateral thinking - how about a bit of microbore copper pipe stuck on the end? That would at least be ridgid and pointable?

Failing that take the existing 12" pipe off, so that the flexi can go straight to the can...

Yes I feel your pain.... (had a quarter last year at £1300 for lekky and gas!)

Reply to
John Rumm