Plasterboard thicknesses

Can I assume that a new plasterboard wall will have plasterboard of a certain thickness? Is there a standard thickness that builders will typically choose for walls?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Comes in 9, 12 and 15mm. 12mm is by far the most commonly used by builders.

Exceptions are when a higher level of either fire protection or soundproofing is required by building regs (usually between dwellings, or occasionally on higher floors within dwellings etc). A double layer of 12mm is often used for these situations.

Reply to
dom

In article , D.M. Procida writes

It's up to you to specify what you want, either 9mm or 12mm. Left to their own devices, the average builder will likely use the thinner/cheaper option.

Personally I would use 12mm as it is less likely to wobble like a set from prisoner cell block H.

I assume you mean a wooden stud partition? For standard large sheets of plasterboards (1200x2400mm) you can choose stud spacings of either 400 or 600mm (to line up with sheet boundaries) with lesser spacings giving greater rigidity. My personal preference would be 400mm but 600 may be adequate depending on the application.

See:

for tips

Reply to
fred

12.5mm

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Similar here ........... Canada s'posed to be metric but many things still rated in US fashion.

'Gyproc' (gypsum board/plasterboard) ............... neighbour is rebuilding his basement. His wood frame house, built 40 years like this one used 3/8th throughout. He is redoing any walls that he changes with half inch (12mm) on 16 inch (400mm) studs. But will reapply 3/8th (approx. 9mm) on ceilings on 12 inch (300mm) spaced strapping. ironically the 3/8th costs slightly more than the 1/2 inch. But is easier to lift and apply to the ceilings! Finding that the quality of some of the 12 mm. is very crumbly and the corners break very easily. He is not using 5/8th (16mm) anywhere although it is a new standard for certain construction.

Reply to
terry