London Transport - things on a post

Just watched a programme about London Buses and saw something I used to wonder about many years ago. Don't know if they are still there. Can someone enlighten me to their role:

Concrete post near curb - convex (pot bellied) front face on the post.

Device on the top - pointing horizontally across the road. Above car height.

Reply to
John

I think what you are referring to is a scanner which was used to identify where buses were. They read a device on the side of the bus near the front and roughly at the height of the long advert down the side.

John

Reply to
JohnW

JohnW snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com: