London Transport - things on a post

Just watched a programme about London Buses and saw something I used to wonder about many years ago. Don't know if they are still there. Can someone enlighten me to their role:
Concrete post near curb - convex (pot bellied) front face on the post.
Device on the top - pointing horizontally across the road. Above car height.
I think what you are referring to is a scanner which was used to identify where buses were. They read a device on the side of the bus near the front and roughly at the height of the long advert down the side.
John

Pretty advanced for its time!

Thanks - I found this: http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/27th- december-1957/24/buses-tracked-by-new-electronic-system