Location of phone wall sockets

I'll have to have another look at that building regulation (I'm not in a =

situation where it has to be applied in anger). However, I thought that =

the public policy was that all building should be "built for life", i.e. =

all residential buildings should be built on the assumption that their=20 owners will stay in them when elderly, which does happen quite a lot.

I can certainly find references to some "Building for Life" rules being=20 in the Building Regs, and it looks like work done for many councils=20 would need to comply.

The Part M guidance document is too big for me to be sure of its scope=20 on a quick scan, but I overstated the required heights. Telephone=20 sockets should be at 400 to 1000mm above floor level, with the lower end =

of the range preferred.

There are a lot of exemptions for rework on existing buildings, although =

you can't make things worse.

Actually, section 0.1a appears to say it applies to all new build dwellin= gs.

Reply to
David Woolley

Isn't that entirely up to the owner? If I do any work in my house, is it any concern of the nann^H^H^H^Hgovernment, whether or not I become elderly? Are all old people incapable of reaching up or down?

If I decide to put a telephone socket (or Block Terminal) grazing the floor (or the ceiling), that's no business of anybody else.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

"The problem for a lot of us is why do you need to keep changing your phone equipment".

For testing and comparison work. You and I are probably not doing the same things.

Reply to
Don

On my quick reading, the owner has no choice on a new build. When upgrading an existing property, they mustn't make things worse, so they can't move a socket outside the specified height range, but they don't need to move existing ones into it.

Block terminsls aren't an issue, as end users aren't supposed to touch them. For other things, it is the same as other building regulations, you are restricted in what you can do for the general good, e.g. you might like a gas guzzling boiler, but the general good is to reduce CO2 buildup, and fossil fuel attrition, so you are forced to introduce a condensing boiler when replacing a boiler. Part M is much more permissive, in that it doesn't require upgrades on maintenance.

Regulations tend to come into existence when people fail to behave responsibly on their own. I do have some concerns about over regulating with respect to requiring approved persons, which isn't an issue, for this case. The approved persons rules tend to actually prevent desirable changes by pushing up the cost and/or bureaucracy, and they prevent people gaining skills, and probably contribute to the low status of science and technology in the UK.

On the other hand, they may be needed for professional builders; I think the kitchen rules in part P were actually targetted at "professional" installers, even though they hit DIYers.

Reply to
David Woolley

-I'll have to have another look at that building regulation (I'm not in a

-situation where it has to be applied in anger). However, I thought that

-the public policy was that all building should be "built for life", i.e.

-all residential buildings should be built on the assumption that their

-owners will stay in them when elderly, which does happen quite a lot.

-I can certainly find references to some "Building for Life" rules being

-in the Building Regs, and it looks like work done for many councils

-would need to comply.

-The Part M guidance document is too big for me to be sure of its scope

-on a quick scan, but I overstated the required heights. Telephone

-sockets should be at 400 to 1000mm above floor level, with the lower end

-of the range preferred.

Yes, certainly for power sockets it's a rule of thumb of 450mm above sub-floor on all new build (including extensions). No-one wants it higher and it's above the min 400 so always within regs. Old buildings you can get away with.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Think it applies to a new build - in the same way as minimum ceiling heights etc do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MY SUSPICIONS BEGAN WITH THE TERM SCREENED YOU USED FOR THE CABLE BUT NIOW I HAVE DETERMINED THAT THIS POST IS PURE TROLL BAIT

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
proteusiiv
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

| >| I'm using a real telephone (741) with a dial (oh, as well as a | >| 1+3 switchboard), and have no problem with them if I don't use a | >| filter. | >| | >

| >Be careful it could turn round & bite you. The number of end | >users ??? who state it's been working perfectly well without that | >x,y,z being filtered but it's suddenly stopped & when you unplug | >that particular piece of kit it suddenly works again is extremely | >large. | >

| I normally do (in fact always) use microfilters, but I can't see | why a particular configuration should change suddenly unless some | humanoid somewhere does something. Why would stuff suddenly stop | working? |

Ever heard of the electrolite in capacitiors drying up, a HR on a board and a thousand and one things which can affect the performance of a circuit. It doesn't take much & the equipment could still appear to be (and could in fact be) fully functional it's just a little noisier electronically.

Reply to
Kráftéé