Standard location for bathtub drain?

I am in the process of roughing-in the plumbing for my new house. I plan on using a run-of-the-mill 32" bathtub (whatever's on sale) in the least used bathroom. For toilets and sinks, there are well defined standards for drain location (e.g., toilet drains 12" from finished wall). However, I have been unable to find any standard for 32" tubs. Is there a standard? Or do I need to go and buy the darn thing and measure it? ........thanks for the comments....rwm

Reply to
mcelhane

It is roughly 12" from the wall. I think the normal floor cutout is 4x16" from the framed wall.

Some of the newer acrylic tubs actually manage to keep the drain line above the joist level because so many homes are now on slabs. You would not need to buy it just go to the store and measure it.

Or just measure the one in the home you are in and allow for the drywall. The distance from the wall has been the same for at least 30 years.

Reply to
Colbyt

Well, that's not true on the tub I am using for the master bath. In this tub, the plumbing from the bath's main drain branches horizontally over to the pipe that drops vertically from the overflow drain. They are joined at a sanitary tee. Then, the exit of the sanitary tee is connected to the bath p-trap. For this tub, the p-trap should be positioned about 4-5 inches from the wall. Sounds like there is no standard.

Reply to
mcelhane

There are plumbing codes to consider. This question is probably better handles at alt.home.repair

____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com

Ichabod

I would consider spending a little extra for a nice looking tub. Tubs are a pain to change out after the bath is finished.

Reply to
noname87