I'm trying to load this prog into an old laptop running '98SE to allow access to my MegaSquirt. Downloading it to my PC it says it's an install file but transferring it to the laptop ends up as text. Do I need to change the filetype from msi and to what? It's meant to be suitable for any version of Windows.

Dave Plowman (News)

.msi is an extension used for a type of Windows installer, so I don't think you want to change that. I'm coming up to my ten-year defenestration anniversary, so beyond that I'm not really sure :-).

Some googling suggests that Windows 98 didn't come with an installer that understands .msi files, but you can install it from Microsoft here:

(or here if the URL wraps:
)

That do it?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

to .msi comes up, like register or something. Dont forget to use Total Uninstall 2 first (not 3).

NT

Reply to
meow2222

a standard part of later version windows but not older ones. Once that is on, .msi files will be associated with it, and double clicking one will automatically fire up windows installer which will do the rest.

(the link Pete gave should sort it out)

Reply to
John Rumm

and ran easily.

Paste this link into your browser (IE6 / Firefox etc.):

should take you to a page offering you a program to run or save. Choose 'run' and installation will be automatic.

You can save to disc later by re-visiting the web page.

Screenshots here:

Cicero

(or here if the URL wraps:
)

I'll give it a try. Unfortunately the laptop came with only a dial up modem but no lead to fit that (it's got a special socket) I've bought a network card for the slot but seem to be having problems with that software too - perhaps that's one and the same thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

> (or here if the URL wraps:
)

The windows msi installer is tiny; only 1.6mb. That's smaller than the file you're trying to install so however you ported that over to the laptop from the pc, download the installer on the pc and do the same.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Could use PKZip and its disk spanning option to use a few floppies...

Reply to
John Rumm

>> (or here if the URL wraps:
)

But I've just received a USB link cable bought off Ebay for pennies. Real struggle to install the provided driver on Win 98 - despite it saying it is suitable - but eventually got it done and working buy transferring just the wanted files to floppies. So exchanging stuff is now easy.

However, I tried installing TunerStudio on the main PC and can't. Tried downloading it again - same thing. Each time I do this I know why I prefer the RISC OS machine.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)