litres and mpg

We buy fuel in litres but still talk about milos per gallon. Whats the metric equivalent any way ?

Reply to
fred

litres per hundred kilometers.

Under ten = good, over 10= bad. 10l/100km=23.5mpg.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

An abomination called litres per 100km. Utterly against nature and all things right.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Go on, tell us how you really feel about kWh per 100km...

Reply to
Theo

Nothing wrong with kWh, but putting a power of 5 in your units of measure is bad practice.

(km/litre, would be a more natural measure)

Reply to
John Rumm

See above. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The problem with mpg and lpkm is they're reciprocal units, so they're nonlinear. A mpg means different things depending on what baseline you're talking about. So a 3mpg improvement is much better on a 10mpg car than a

10mpg improvement on a 50mpg car.

while with l/100km every litre is worth the same.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It's not a problem. It is clear that a car that achieves 50mpg is 5 times more fuel efficient than a car that only achieves 10mpg and most people (without a particular journey in mind) want to know how many miles they get for a set volume of fuel (particularly a full tank).

Reply to
SteveW

Which I am sure few people care about most of the time. The important question is what range do I have with the fuel remaining, and how far can I go on full tank, and how many fuel stops will I need for a given journey.

Only really of interest when choosing a new vehicle...

Even then, just convert the MPG change to percentages and you are good to go. No need for bastardised units like l/km x 10^5

Reply to
John Rumm

The price rises don't affect me because I always stop the pump at £30.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

but but you get less ????

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

don't care but I have to add 10% to my Mustangs indicated mpg ....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

which brings it up to about 19mpg...f*ck you Greta

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

As far as I am concerned miles/litre. 45mpg = 10miles/litre so its easy to calculate my running costs in pence/mile which equates to (cost per litre in pence)/10.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

28mpg is about 1 nanoare.
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Don't think so. Nanoare ist an area. Mpg isn't.

Reply to
Matthias Czech

Mpg is reciprocal area. 28mpg is 1/28 gpm which is an area, ie volume divided by length.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Hm. I am puzzled. 1m/s is a velocity. Is 1s/m also a velocity?

Reply to
Matthias Czech

Nope, just distance, not area and engine efficiency.

Nope, because the volume and length aren't of the same entiry.

Reply to
zaq

Christ, Rod, you're thick.

Reply to