Literacy in this newsgroup (Electric hedge trimmer thread)

"Ian Stirling" wrote | It vraeis wtih teh nbumer of sylables, and cna be incomprensible to | peolpe in Lslywhirlpoolgangtyrannicidecrywryfowlgallglobgoggwynlollh.

But that would have to be Llsywhirlpoolgangtyranniciderywryfowlgallglobgoggwynlollch because you can't split ll and ch - they're one letter each in Wlehs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Exactly, dyslexia (where this is the problem) is one of those disabilities that does not stop people from being highly intelligent [1] but some people who suffer can't see a spelling mistake even if it's pointed out to them (unless they have the correct spelling along side) - 'ETH, TEH, HTE' could all been seen as 'THE' by the brain for example.

[1] Albert Einstein for example.
Reply to
Jerry.

I am neither stupid, dyslexic, nor unable to spell.

I merel;y type faster, looking at teh keybnoard than I can do accurateely.

A hangover from being a coder where, in any case, you had to go over and re-do the whole thing to eliminate spaces and typos anyway, so the 'first draft' was always rough - and let the parser ID the erors for you.

char * source; while( parse_text(source)) { correct(source); } return OK;

/*

*/
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

disabilities ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I never said you were any of the above, but sometimes you seem to have a problem in comprehending what others have said !....

Reply to
Jerry.

Should that not be:-

char * source; while( ! parse_text(source)) { correct(source); } return OK;

Sorry - could not resist! ;-))

Reply to
John Rumm
[A rant about TNP]

You may not often add people to your killfile, and I don't often get involved in flame wars, but this time I have to stick my hand up and put a vote in for TNP: his postings are not often correct in letter-order, but their grammar is better than those of many other posters, and their content is usually worthwhile.

Usually I cringe at such errors, but TNP has proved himself over time and you'll be missing some interesting posts if you make uk.d-i-y a regular haunt.

Now, what interests me about TNP is that his mistakes are, to a large extent, consistent: "the teh" is the classic example. I have never seen "eth" or "het" :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Precisely why I used it. I knew you would not refuse the challenge.

Reply to
Jim

Never mind the quality, feel the width :-)

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

I don't think I've ever seen "the" either! Personally I can't see the point of typing so fast that the words come out jumbled. Surely it doesn't save

*that* much time!

As a 2-finger-typing programmer like TNP, I've witnessed many colleagues who type at a furious rate, matched only by the number of times they have to hit backspace as they go. Using the compiler to catch typos is a dangerous practice too. IMHO, fixing everything it reports takes a lot longer than typing more accurately in the first place.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

IMO having any typos in the first place is not good, as a small percentage won't get noticed or parsed and tested out. So less typos typed = less bugs in finished code.

How does parse_text() and correct() know where they are in source? Some global variable somewhere ;)))

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

That entirely depends on whether, as is conventional in C, you return a null for 'no error' reserving all possible integer values for ERROR codes...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is a subjective opinion.

Knowing the quality of those who read here, they can do a better job of parsing than most compilers

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not at all. The linker will take care of that. They are by definition, some kind of unmentioned global variable.

Thats why I like C, unless otherwise mentioned, the functions are assumed to be integer returning and global in scope.

I could have included a header file, but it adds nothing to the discussion,.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , John Woodhall writes

And where would we be without NP's idiosyncratic use of our noble language

or the coffee - monitor interface effect of Eliza's posts?

Reply to
geoff

In message , Owain writes

How did that final "s" get there?

Reply to
geoff

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Just unwilling ?

Do it then ...

Reply to
geoff

The end effect is the same. A typo is a spelling mistake for those who have to read your posts

Which is relevant, how ?

The end effect is the same

Reply to
geoff

In message , Jim writes

Not if they insist on typing with caps lock on

Reply to
geoff

In message , Jim writes

No, it just proves you are a wanker