Lintel or not?

The front of the shed is planned to be 10 blocks high at the moment. The door opening including frame will be 9 blocks high.

So do I need a concrete lintel plus some concrete bricks for the last course, or is there a better alternative such as wood? The only load carried will be the roof, so in theory wood should be fine and would also be a lot easier to fit. The gap (double doors) is expected to be about 1624mm so the lintel would be

2000mm.
Reply to
David WE Roberts

Depends on the outside finish. Rendering onto wood will fall off in time. Better to use a RC lintel and a course of cut down blocks.

If you are timber cladding for example, then a couple of 9x2 trimmed for height if needed will be quick and easy.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

David WE Roberts wibbled on Tuesday 09 March 2010 17:13

Can't speak specifically for your case, but if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, I have several wooden lintels spanning gaps in the load bearing walls in my house. 3 are 1.8m long (bay windows). Those are holding their respective parts of the roof up.

Reply to
Tim Watts

David WE Roberts submitted this idea :

You might be able to use a wood lintel if the gap above is filled with wood rather than blocks, that is what I did. Another option would be to use two lengths of angle iron back to back, thus allowing you to use full size blocks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks to all - the finish is 'no finish' i.e. just painted blocks so I think angle iron may be out. The wood will need painting/treating but it is a lot lighter to lift over 2 metres high :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts