Linked Smoke/Heat Detectors

What cable is required between these linked smoke and heat detectors, other than power supply? I am doing a refurb room by room and want to cover as many bases as possible!

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

For some the link is by radio signal. Not necessarily a very helpful answer I know, but I will be fitting 3 detectors soon - one heat unit in the kitchen and a couple of smoke detectors elsewhere. The bases are connected to e.g. a lighting circuit and are linked wirelessly. Cost in the region of £100 for 3 IIRC

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Depends on the models you're using. For example, are yours mains powered (sounds like it)?

In my case I linked them using 1.5mm 3-core-and-earth mains lighting cable, of the type normally used for 2-way lighting circuits or bathroom fans etc. Two of the cores are used to convey power from the first detector to the second (ie live and neutral), and the third (effectively a switched live) carries the 'linking' signal between the two units. The first detector of course is also fed from a 1.5mm 2-core-and-earth cable wired to the lighting circuit (or preferably, wired direct to the CU on a dedicated circuit)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Same here. I also put a non-maintained emergency light on the same circuit. That way: (1) I get a light on the stairs in a power cut (2) I know if the supply to the smoke alarms has failed (yes, I know they have battery backup but...).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mains smoke detectors normally use triple and earth including the power supply, i.e. one additional signal wire interlinks them all. Not looked at a mains interconnected heat detector, but I guess it must be the same in order to link with smokes. AFAIK, there's no standard for the signalling, so you must use all the same make of detectors. You might want to buy them all at once, in case they go obsolete half way through your refurb.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Take a look at

which should link to their 'Radio Link' detection system.

It looks (to me) to be a simpler install than running 3C+E all over the house. As I said in my first post I'm looking at installing a heat detector in the kitchen and smoke detectors on the first and second floors.

(sorry to repost but I did not have the leaflet to hand)

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Only having a quick glance at the website above I found nothing relating to A radio link. I'm assuming the goal is to have all smoke/heat detectors go off if say a fire starts in the kitchen you can hear it all the way in the bath upstairs. I can't really say I'd feel comfortable having the signals being sent wirelessly especially in older homes where the walls jam radio signals.

For example I've got a wireless router setup with a computer in the other room, the distance between the router and the computer is not but 3 or 4 metres a way but the wall dampens it so getting internet access in that other room is quite tricky. Not sure if I'd really feel I could depend on something like that.

Reply to
Holbrook Bunting

I have the Screwfix ones with battery bases which are supposed to link by radio, only they don't, even when close together (and yes, trying all combinations of band switches). However although I know I should, I can't be a*sed to complain because it's the only problem I have ever had with Screwfix. Has anyone else had better luck?

Reply to
Newshound

More than that for radio linked detectors, the detectors themselves are around £20 to £30 each and then the radio links are a similar price. Unless you can tell me otherwise, I'd be interested if you can.

Reply to
usenet

Simpler yes, but expensive. I've used some of these in our flat in London because there are only three detectors there however it's too expensive for our house where we will have seven or eight detectors.

Reply to
usenet

In message , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

A nice extra on the ones I fitted was a mute switch so that after one had activated and so triggered the rest they could all be muted apart from the first one. Although my house isn't that big, 4 bedrooms plus self contained annexe it certainly speeds up finding the cause of the alarm. As someone else commented I also fitted an emergency light to the smoke detector circuit, this is by the CU and mute switch.

Reply to
Bill

What make/model of smoke detector are they. I want that feature but the marketing puff never gives enough detail...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

3wayt + earth, Live neutral, earth and ring yer bell mate.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've had a quick google and can't find my exact model but it is similar to:-

mute switch was something my wholesaler told me about and was not mentioned in the blurb with the detector so it may be worth asking around

Reply to
Bill

The given link displays a black page with, slightly right of centre, 6 'buttons' in 2 rows of 3. Centre top says 'Radio Link'

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard