Lining out a garage: ply, MDF, chipboard...?

All the PIR boards I have used so far seem to be *exactly* like celotex[1] except without the fine glass fibre stands they place every so many inches. Does Quinn-therm claim to be PIR foam?

[1] Yellow, very fine foam with a tiny cell structure, and uniform in texture etc.
Reply to
John Rumm

"QUINN-therm consists of a core of PIR foam bonded on both faces to composite aluminium facings" according to their website.

Incidentally, the Celotex I've used in the past is rather nearer white than yellow in colour.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

How much did it cost? (it if was a third the price, I could live with a few crumbs installing it!)

Well "off white" if you prefer... ;-)

The edge of the stuff I used looks like:

at the window reveal)

Reply to
John Rumm

And it darken substantially with exposure to light. Ending up almost orange.

Reply to
polygonum

Indeed. Its not designed to be left exposed to UV - it gets a bit dusty and friable on the surface as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

It was cheaper than Celotex, but not that much cheaper, alas. And "few" isn't the word I would have used!

Ah yes, that's the same as mine. Thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

What were you cutting it with? I found with a sharp knife (extended snap-off blade utility knife) there were no crumbs at all. You get some mess with a saw mind you...

Reply to
John Rumm

I used a saw on both Celotex and Quinn-therm. Much more mess from the latter. The snap-off blade knife is a good idea: I'll try that on the next batch. This calls to mind that I've also seen TV DIYers cut partially through the thickness and then snap the board, giving a clean break (though you then have to cut through the foil facing): I'll try that too.

Thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules