Linear bearing: ideas wanted

I'm modifying an old pony trap to correct the balance (which is wildly off). The bench seat assembly is supported by a pair of horizontal and parallel lengths of steel tube, about 30 mm OD, but not really good enough to be bearings (although I could use a split polymer bearing, clamped in position, if necessary). I would like the seat to be adjustable fore and aft, rather like a car seat, to accept one or two drivers of different weights. So it probably has to move through 12 inches or so, rather more than a standard car seat (or I would just adapt the runners from one of these). I'm wondering about using domestic or wardrobe sliding door gear. But while I think about it, I'm trawling for smart ideas for off-the-shelf sliders. I need a low tech and relatively low cost solution, but can trade cash against time. Load capacity of runners needs to be 2 people, say 150 kg, but it doesn't have to move under this load. Could MIG weld door or car seat sliders on to the seat and the shafts as required.

TIA

Reply to
newshound

Bet you could bodge up one of these:

you: if they still have breakers yards you can wander round with your tool kit, I bet you could find car or van ones the size you wanted.

spamlet

150kg/4 =3D 37kg, and you can get 40kg kitchen drawer runners IIRC, cheap too.

NT

Reply to
NT