Lights Saga - Appendix 2

The new kitchen LED strip light is up. Poorly thought out fitting as the cable gets in the way of the clips but it is so light I think it's OK.

I now need to sort the chandelier out - this has the ceiling rose with loose connections that caused my issues in the first place. I have tightened the connections and re-fitted it to the ceiling and need to work through:

It has very limited give in the cables, whoever did the wiring here has left no slack anywhere.

I am loathe to remove it and replace it with a chock-block for the safety reasons raised in here, the limited slack and the thought that if a wire snaps I will have to lift a nailed down chipboard that is 8' x 2' and was fixed when the place was built 40 years ago.

What I think will do it is an old fashioned wooden rose with a recessed back, perhaps about 6" or so diameter, that will fit over the plastic rose and allow me to fit the chandelier to it. Searching for a wooden rose is interesting, one with a recess in the back bit like trying to find a Unicorn. I will hit Google now but if anybody has any suggestions for a supplier I'd love to hear!

Mutt had 13 teeth removed yesterday and the way he was behaving when he got home I wonder if they used LSD instead of an anaesthetic. Anyway slept on the floor next to his bed last night in case he needed anything so may fall asleep any minute!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Jeff have you not considered the types of connectors John and I suggested in Lights Saga Appendix 1. Get rid of the ceiling rose and push the connector into the void after plugging them back together. Then secure the chandelier how you wish.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

My concern is not having enough free wire to use a choc-block or losing/breaking the wire.

What I have found is a 6" or so wooden pattress and a craft site selling hollow wooden rings, plan is to glue some rings to the back of the pattress to make space for the plastic rose. Perhaps I'll take some pics...

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

If you are fitting a larger circular cover block you could always enlarge the hole in the ceiling enough to allow you to crimp or solder on some extra cable.

Alternatively, if you need access from above then saws like:

are very handy - they make a hole, and rebate the edges ready to take a flush fitting closure plate.

Have you got a router? Sounds like a easy DIY job to make a circle of the right size in a wood of your choice.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John.

The hole cutter and plate are neat, the electrician used one at my previous house when moving the supply for the oven.

I don't have a router. When I was about 11 my dad told me I was incapable of sawing a straight line and 65 years later I have to admit he was right!

I'll keep thinking on it, as soon as it's dark I can see how good the new kitchen light is, luxury not having to rely on up-lighters!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

maybe ketamine

Reply to