Lighting wiring in FAQ - power to switches

Not any more (other than one in the bathroom, as the power supply goes into a 0.5s on/0.5s off cycle of the LEDs if there is not one halogen amongst them). The hall did have an incandescent until a couple of years ago.

We have a mix of LEDs and CFLs. Failing CFLs have taken out MCBs from time to time. We'll get to all LEDs eventually.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I did not wait for failing CFLs before changing to nearly all LED[1]. I could never stand the things.

Just the 2 outside lights are non LED. One is a fitting that takes this lamp

and the other uses a CDM-T lamp.

I'll keep the CDM-T fitting until I cannot get lamps for it and I'll probably swap the CFL one for a driver and some LED strip inside the fitting.

Does your bathroom light use 12V lamps?

Reply to
ARW

We have a problem getting LEDs that are powerful enough and compact enough to fit into the living room light fittings - it took years before some of the spiral CFLs were short enough to fit and we don't want to change the fittings.

I did find CFLs good for the second toilet - they were less harsh on the eyes in the middle of the night, as they take so long to warm up, however, we now have LEDs in there.

Yes. Seven of them (six plus halogen), plus a separately powered, eighth one within the intake for the extractor in the shower.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Have you considered swapping the transformer for a LED driver? Or it a "later" job?

Reply to
ARW

The problem is that it is supposed to be capable of driving LEDs and the total load (using 7 LEDs rather than 6 + a Holgen) is bang in its stated range. I am actually tempted to go to a bog standard transformer, with no electronics in it!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I wonder if it might be a lamp incompatibility problem.

Reply to
ARW

Certainly some sort of problem between the lamps and the power supply. I could try changing the lamps rather than the supply perhaps. It can wait though, I've got to paint the door under the stair for the gas cupboard and the doors to the electricity cupboard (after cutting them down to fit); then run the satellite and network cables the final 10 feet from the airing cupboard, under the landing floor to our bedroom and our eldest son's bedroom; put the carpet back on the landing; move the cooker feed from one side of the kitchen to the other and fit the new oven and hob; as well as buying a few more presents. Somehow, I'm supposed to have that done by Monday evening!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker