Lightbulbs - the facts?

See also

Alan Braggins

Thank you. That was all I wanted to know :o)

Reply to
Jim S

And 100W GLS bulbs are still easily available on eBay.

Reply to
Huge

I have always felt that putting coins inside a torch would be akin to carrying a fully charged battery in a pocket full of coins, ie asking for a short right where you don't want it.

Reply to
Davey

Not if they are fitted in so nothing can move.

Reply to
charles

Assuming you have other sources of heating, then it does not really matter. If the air in the room is still, then the lamp will help heat the stratified top layer, thus pushing the effects of your other heaters down lower. If there are decent convection currents running in the room, then the hot air will circulate.

Reply to
John Rumm

I expect the idea is that you chose a coin of similar diameter to the battery you are replacing. So a stack of them is no more able to move about than the batteries are likely to change order.

Reply to
John Rumm

White LEDs on their own are quite blue, however many of those designed for interior lighting are actually combination LED/Fluorescent and give a warmer (if CFL like) light.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep, the ones I have are like that and produce a light not completely dissimilar to a halogen GU10, though with a very slight[1] flicker and blue tinge.

[1] I am extremely sensitive to flicker - the days of 50 and 60Hz CRT monitors were horrible and interlace was unusable - but I can *only just* notice it on these.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

You sure? Doesn't the end of the battery furthest from the blub earth to the case of the torch? In which case it wouldn't matter if the coins did touch the case as long as you put them at the end away from the bulb. Although I suppose if you wanted to use it as a cosh you'd want all the weight at the front.

Reply to
Tim Streater

How did you connect up the leads to the old GLS bulb base (assuming that is what it is ?). Would the insurance be OK in a fire if they found those ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I was assuming that they were inserted near the bulb end but as you say, if you're just replacing the "lowest" battery, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

most relevant

djc

Found some excellent energy saving bulbs up our local elcheapo store the other day. Almost as good as the old ones - bright, decent light, dimmable.

D.M.Chapman

it will show me the picture.

Reply to
John Williamson

errrr... really? Shouldn't do...

Try

D.M.Chapman

Agreed! Perhaps Darren Chapman would like to explain his motive for doing so?

Reply to
Terry Casey

Click the "Display Media" button/link and it will show you anyway

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup I have same problem with flicker. Anything less than 85 Hz non interlace and I can perceive it on a CRT.

Reply to
John Rumm

Only if there was a 10 foot cloud ceiling.

Reply to
Davey