Lightbulbs - the facts?

Do the sums then ;-)

Even a 10ms difference would be more than a third of a metre at motorway speeds.

I agree, its quite distracting. However for an indicator they could probably argue this is a good thing. I would also caution to be careful what you wish for, since shaping the output would almost certainly be done by PWM again, and we are back to strobing effects.

Reply to
John Rumm

I find it a bit difficult to pick up indicators mounted in the centre of a ring of bright red brake light.

Reply to
hugh

And the red man on pedestrian crossings - extremely distracting as the pulsing catches the corner of your eye just as you are turning at a junction.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Lots of R80 fittings are in ceilings with no backs on them at all. Even R80 cans normally have ventilation. (Those that don't tend to end up with real R80 lamps soldered into the lampholder.)

I fitted many Genuras in ceilings (probably 40-50), and got almost no failures. Actually, I noticed some were going dim, and a quick calculation showed they'd done up to 30,000 hours. I talked with one of the GE engineers who developed them (who is still regularly on Usenet), and got the info that pretty much the only thing to fail in them is the electronics, and that's purely temperature dependant. (Generally speaking, you halve the life of any electronic circuit for each 10C temperature rise.) At 30,000 hours, the phosphor is wearing out and the mercury will be getting lost, which is why they start getting dim at that point.

I don't understand why they're so expensive. GE developed them 20 years ago, and have not taken that technology any further (that seems to have been left to the Chinese, who've done lots more work on electrodeless fluorescents). The Genuras were £11 each when they first came out which was probably only 50% more than ordinary CFLs at the time. They've doubled in price whilst other CFLs are about 1/10th the price. That doesn't make sense to me.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

what it is ?).

Unsoldered the existing wires (the lamp bases were removed from dead CFLs), and soldered the GY6.35 wires in instead. I am actually relying on the stiffness of the GY6.35 wires to make it self-supporting. I was originally going to pack the lamp bases with cement, but it didn't seem necessary. If it was a commercial product, it would be. I did have to collect about 8 or 9 dead CFLs in order to get 5 usable lamp bases. In some cases, I couldn't get all the plastic out of the lamp base, and in others, the connections were not suitable for resoldering (either brazed connections, or the contact came off when touched with a soldering iron).

Why not? There's nothing other than metal, ceramic, and glass in the light fittings, so it's difficult for it to catch fire. I would have been more concerned if the BC lampholders had been plastic and would probably have stripped them out completely.

The more vulnerable parts are the high current connections and the transformers. The high current connections have all been carefully done with crimps or bootlace ferules (depending if the connection is permanent or can be disassembled). The two transformers are housed in a ventilated aluminium case, with the addition of 70C self-resetting thermal trips on each one (in addition to the thermal protection built in to the transformers).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh yes - the fire IS the best option. Just started using ours this autumn - make such a difference ! So I suppose by your view we are in the stone age, but we don't think so - more the log age! Saves burning all that oil.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson