Light bulbs to be taxed

With respect, I believe what used to be said was it was uneconomic to switch off fluorescent tubes if they'll be off for less than minutes. This was because the starting up from cold does most damage to the cathodes, shortening of the life of the tubes. Theis may/may not be the case nowadays with better ballasts.

being some arbitrary number. The equation would depend on what it costs to change a tube, and the cost of having one fail. It would cost more if it was done by an electrician in a factory 15 feet above a shop floor full of machinery than by a D-I-Yer in his own kitchen. Also it might become a health and safety issue if a tube that was lighting an area where dangerous machinery was being used was to fail, the machinery might have to be shut down with knock on effects.

For this reason in industry tubes tend to be replaced on a planned preventive maintenance programme.

It's a cost issue, not a power issue.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 22:57:31 GMT someone who may be "Bioboffin" wrote this:-

Indeed. I have used slow starting ones for my bedroom for this reason. However, in the toilet the compact fluorescent comes on in less than a second and doesn't get that much brighter after that.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:18:16 GMT someone who may be "dennis@home" wrote this:-

Or those who imply is more economic to heat a house with electric light bulbs than with say gas fired central heating.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:04:15 -0000 someone who may be "Ev" wrote this:-

It is impossible to tell whether you are comparing like with like. Part of the trouble is that the various compact fluorescents are optimised in different ways and rather less standardised than incandescent lamps. However, I have yet to come across many situations where they are not suitable.

Reply to
David Hansen

If it was nuclear generated electricity, and a carbon tax on the fuel to the level imposed on car fuel were introduced, it probably would be. :-)

My heating oil is 30p a liter roughly. Its 90p a liter for the same muck to put in the car.

Lets say domestic heating oil and gas tripled in price.

And industrial oil coal and gas also.

Nuclear reprocessing costs would pale into insignificance ...

Why, even electric cars and windmills would actually be cost effective..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah, I had to hacksaw off the lampshade holder top to fit CFL's to SWMBO's latest purchase of overpriced crap from Homebase.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's an other reason - their light output fails dramatically after a period of use, but may still continue working for a very long time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't remember that Derek, but it was over 30 years ago now so I'm sure you're right. Is that the reason so many high-rise office buildings throughout the world leave every single tube on all night every night?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

I have moved to Ireland from the UK and our energy prices are a lot better than UK. E.G. we have 8 radiators, and our water on gas. The last bill was =8019 that was because my partner is on disability benefit and gets an allowence against her bills. She also gets free telephone line rental, and free travel on public transport including the ferry! But unfortunately she wont go on a boat so cheap hols to the UK are out! :-( But also we don't pay for our water here as we have no council tax! We do have to pay a bin lift charge and if you haven't paid they put a sticker on your bin and leave it full. I hear that is coming into the UK soon? Anyway before you all book flights, remember we have the Euro here and things are a bot more expensive. Clothes are incredibly cheap though. We have the irish version of Primark called Pennies and I got a pair of jeans for =804.50 the other day which is about =A33 but go to a pub and you are looking at about =A33 to =A34 for a pint! That's why we usually drink at home til about 9:30 then go out. Also pubs are shut on Good friday and Xmas day :-( So I guess it is swings and rounabouts really.=20

Slainte'

Reply to
DJ spider

Did you compare the 100w to an 18w or a 25w cfl? 25w would be the real equivalent, not 18, and theres quite a difference.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The lighting in "my" office goes off at 6pm, other than in corridors and safety related spaces (stairwells). You can switch them back on by dialling a number on your phone.

The lights in all meeting rooms are controlled by movement detectors.

But I agree that it's a disgrace to fall out of the pub at 10:30pm in Canary Wharf and see all those buildings lit up top to bottom without a single soul in them.

Reply to
Huge

20w linear fl approx equivalent to 75w filament lamp. Fl run power 22w, startup power twice that, 44w. Filament lamp startup power 8-10x run, ie 650 to 750w, but only for a fraction of a second, short enough to ignore in practical energy calculations.

So, its 75w versus 44w for 2-3 seconds then 22w continuous.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This is just the more technical explanation of the myth. I calculated it once, and the cost in reduced lamp life of switching the thing off then on was so miniscule it wasnt even worth a minute of electricity.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Just out of interest, what's the mortgage rate like in Ireland? (that being the single biggest bill most houseowners get). When I was in spain last year I was offered a mortgage at 3.25% c.f

6% in the UK. given that both countries are in the eurozone, I expect your rates to be the same. This never seems to get a mention in the pro/con euro debate in the UK. I'd've thought that for most people, halving their mortgage would have them queueing up for euros - strange.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

I think that's corporate vanity. They do it around here as soon as the building is fitted out and before the business has moved in.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

On 30 Oct 2006 14:42:54 GMT someone who may be Huge wrote this:-

Perhaps it indicates that electricity is still too cheap?

Reply to
David Hansen

definitely it is

700 litres of raid diesl - 600 quid.

2000 litres of heating oil 600 quid.

THATs why eletric cars are cheap to run...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apart from the bilious colour of the light of course...

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm sure that's true now with cheap unmarked far eastern tubes from RING for less than £1.00, GE tubes from wholesalers for not much more.

But I encountered the myth Ca 1955 when my Uncle's greengrocer's shop upgraded from tungsten lamps. Tubes in those days weren't triflingly cheap, they were many times the price of tungsten lamps.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Andy Hall typed

I would not want to apply make-up in a room lit by CFLs.

I accept Mr Hansen is unlikely to wear this.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht