Lifting cork tiles - an excuse to buy a multi-tool?

I've got quite a few cork floor tiles to lift, from a poke with a scraper they seem to have been stuck-down (well!) with evostik. Is this the excuse I need to buy a multitool? If so, which one? Is it likely to be able to scrape the evostik off the chipboard floor?

Reply to
Biggles

Yes

If so, which one?

I have the green mains bosch, but it sounds as though they are all fairly comparable (and the Aldi-Lidl particularly good value).

Reply to
newshound

aldi, if they get them soon

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Having done just this last year, I found the best tool was a power chisel using the scraper blade. Found a real use for it at last. ;-) It's a Bosch I've had for ages - but Lidl had something similar recently.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting! You've just reminded me that I've had a Bosch PSF180E (I think) for years and hardly used it - I'll give it a go. I hope this doesn't take away the excuse to buy a multitool :-(

Reply to
Biggles

On screed a flat-bladed spade makes short work - give it a hefty swing along the floor and if you are lucky the tile (or even several) pop up cleanly. A sharp wide bolster might also be good. Depends very much on what the glue has done over the years.

I see no reason it wouldn't work on chipboard if you are careful not to go too heavy handed on it. The emphasis is on a good sideways swing, not downwards, to shear the tile off using the momentum in the spade.

As for the glue - it will never come off completely - it will have soaked into the substrate. However, it is usually not a problem, unlike black bitumen.

If it is tacky and that is undesireable (like if you want to lay a carpet), you can "blind" it with a light dusting of powder - perhaps plain baby talc then hoover off the excess.

Reply to
Tim Watts

TBH the multitiool is my least used power tool. Even the 2nd ancient B&D drill sees more action than that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I agree that my use is infrequent, less than once a month, but when I

*do* I find it very quick, neat, and effective. (Rather like the Dremel).
Reply to
newshound

I've got one of these:

Expensive, but worth it imo.

Years ago, I had a basement with cork tiles stuck down onto a concrete floor. After a month of Sunday's with a cold chisel, I gave up and got someone in to level the whole mess.

Now, I recon the multi-tool would have made short work of it.

But ymmv of course.

Reply to
WeeBob

I have an el cheapo multi tool which I have used a lot. Having watched this video of fixing a Bosch multi-tool I would not be buying a Bosch as it's clearly badly designed:

MattyF

A multi-tool can be the same - hardly ever used. But you'll be glad you had one when you do need it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have one too bought "body only" from eBay (choice influenced by already having a several of other LXT tools & batteries) worth noting that it doesn't have a quick blade release like some other makes, otherwise no problems with it, not the most frequently used of tools, but I can thing of several jobs it would have been handy for if I'd bought it earlier ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not sure that frequency of use is a particularly useful metric... its more a case of how useful it is when you do want it.

I try to remember to take mine each time I go to do a job, since there are times when I makes what would otherwise be a PITA job very quick and easy.

For example, needing to make a dozen cuts through pipes in a chase in the floor, where there was no access for a hacksaw or a pipe cutter:

John Rumm

at least it was one of the green ones... it would be interesting to see what they use on the pro version.

Reply to
John Rumm

The tool free blade change on the Fein is a super feature - especially as you often need to re-position a saw blade in awkward locations.

I have a cordless Aldi one which looses a lot of its convenience due to needing an allen key for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lidl have them on the shelves at the moment.

JFDI

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

true enuff, if you have space & money for all the tools you want.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I happened to go past a Lidl today - they had a few tools (angle grinders, wall slotters, and Li-Ion 14.4V drills) but, sadly, no multitools.

Reply to
Biggles

They were on offer here a few weeks ago. Individual stores may have some left.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Makes you wonder if there is a market for people sourcing stuff at their local Lidl and then shipping to other areas.

Has anyone tried asking at Lidl if they can get an item from central stores or another store?

Seems a shame when some stores have items sitting on the shelves and others with demand are sold out.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts