Levelling a door frame . . .

Fitting a new door frame to the 2 storey offshot kitchen. Like most round here, the offshot has sunk a couple of inches over the years (built 1890), meaning the frame is about 1.5cm out in the opening.

Do I level the frame to a spirit level, or the opening? I've done it to the spirit level, thinking it wouldn't be that noticeable, and out of level would create door hanging problems. But now it's in (not permanently fixed) it does look odd to my eye.

Reply to
RJH

Are you now looking at the frame without architrave which when added would hide or disguise some of the problem?

Often any non-squareness can be disguise by decoration, say, if the frame and door are the same colour as the walls.

Reply to
alan_m

The inside I can correct - it's the outside - the frame fits between 2 brick walls. Maybe some tapered sealant, but no amount of imagination is helping right now :-)

Reply to
RJH

Probably one of those cases where "if it looks right, it is right". So you could make the frame match (or half and half it - lose a bit of the slope but not all of it)

Reply to
John Rumm

Make it a feature :)

alan_m

Haha - not quite that bad! I've hung the door and it all works, so I think I'll leave it as it is and cross the bridge if it really gets under my skin. It was only a proof of concept thing anyway, just to see if i could do it (door was free) as it needed doing.

Thing that got me was the partially glazed hardwood door - *really* heavy and awkward, and just about inside my limit. Much heavier and I'd have been stuffed.

Reply to
RJH

Moving a heavy door any distance I use

I have some very heavy internal doors which in the past I've removed, taken into the garden for stripping and priming and used scrap wood as wedges and pivots and flat wreaking bar/floor board lifter as lever to manoeuvrer the doors into place to fit again.

Reply to
alan_m

Had seen those but only just noticed the 80kg rating. I'll get one - could be a back/toe/finger saver too . . .

Reply to
RJH

Plant some leaning trees either side of it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

If I look through our bathroom and catch sight of the top of the door frame relative to the window beyond, I wince.

My plan is to remove the architrave, square it up by adding some thin timber/filler put the architrave back on square (or replace) and trim the door down as necessary.

Reply to
R D S

Yes, I've done that successfully on an internal door.

Reply to
RJH