Lenovo B50-30

But you are not booting from a DVD are you?

I thiught you put the SSD in the old hard drive position.

No, it doesn't. Not after correct installation Not that it shows yopu.

No, it doesn't. You have to really go into GRUB to enable that.

Yes. 'Quiet splash' is the installation default

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

thx for comments. I have the "newish" SSD in the old HDD slot and the original HDD in the DVD slot. It have Linux Mint on USB drive. No DVD.

I also need to find out how to have the HDD stop turning when inactive, as the SSD does all the work.

Reply to
John

Don't think it's the BIOS. It's the boot program on the CD or disk.

It is certainly part of Windows boot, but try booting (in my case) a FreeBSD DVD, and you don't get that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

sigh. Why not INSTALL the Mint on the SSD?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is on the SSD. When I boot up I have the USB out. sigh.

Reply to
John

Then why is it not booting from the SSD?

You must have changed the bios to permanently boot from a nonexistent CD/DVD

As well as somehow not leaving the quiet splash option as default

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What happened was a window with very small text came up. It had a small menu with the top being Linux Mint. If I did not select the top selection, Linux Mint, after 8 secs the top would be selected, Linux Mint. The boot would start then the Mint Logo would come up with a frozen screen.

I went into the BIOS then changed all references to booting on USB. Even though the boot priority was for the SSD. The window still comes up. I can hit the return key selecting the top, Linux Mint, or leave and after 8 secs Linux Mint is automatically selected. It then boot up OK.

I have a SSD with Linux Mint on, a second HDD and a backup USB with Linux Mint on.

I would rather the opening window was not there and not have to wait 8 secs or hit the return key. I don't know how I can get rid of it.

I need to increase the swap space, increase font & window sizes and get rid of windows asking for passwords.

Reply to
John

that is as it should be, just wait. The mint logo hides a huge amount of loading checking and initialising. It should end up at an x-window after

20-30 seconds. The either a login screen or your desktop depending on whether you have autologin set.

This looks like a non quiet splash boot.

What are the other options?.

you need to edit /etc/default/grub *as root* and make sure that GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

is there. and also

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

Then *as root* run update-grub

You probably do NOT need to increase swap space, but that is trivial anyway - add a swap file

way to increase fonts is to use control panel to select appearance and change all the defaults to bigger ones there.

Windows will open whatever size they need to or how you left em when you closed them

I don't understand what you mean by 'needing passwords'? If you mean to confirm you are not some spotty teenager messing up the operating system, live with it. You can give yourself a null password but that's as good as it gets.

if you really want to drive a horse and cart through linux security, of course you can

The Natural Philosopher

unplug the usb with mint on. The pc is seeing 2 bootable drives.

too late. How big is your swap partition?

what windows exactly are asking for passwords? What exactly are you doing that requires the password? You should normally be running in non superuser mode.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have.

2GB

I do not want to use a password to get in and do other tasks.

Reply to
John

Tabby is as usual wrong.

the command "swapon <file>" will add<file> to the swap space. there are several ways to create a file with size but no content.

The initial login prompt is skippable by configuring autologin. I passed a link to show you how to have auto admon rights in the last post I made on this thread

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or configure it to not need one. Its not advised, but its for sure do-able

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[...]

That can be caused by a failing HDD.

TW

Reply to
TimW

I power on, then a nuisance window comes up with a cursor key selected menu in small font. Titled:- GU GRUB version 2.02.

Now, I can leave it and it defaults and boots, or hit return to make it quicker. Initially if I did not hit the return key it would try to boot and freeze, displaying only the Mint picture.

Apart from the nuisance window from boot, it works brilliantly. So "fast" and responsive with the SSD and Linux over the crap Windows 10. I generally do most things I need through an Opera browser, so maybe a 2GB swap file is enough.

Reply to
John

I've found some Mints that do that, whatever the reason 8s is pretty trivial.

with responses that vague it's pointless discussing it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

/etc/default/grub

GRUB_DEFAULT=0 GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true <=== maybe true disables the menu ? GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 <=== (menu duration) GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian` GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" <=== I remove these GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

After editing the file as root, you do

sudo update-grub

and the contents of this file are then applied to the boot materials in /boot. The file that handles the actual booting says "do not edit" at the top, while the default file contains the stuff you want copied every time the OS does software updates and it calls update-grub on its own.

If you do a Ubuntu 20.04 install (it's not released yet, but there are nightly ISOs to try) the "grub" file on that one, is missing the TIMEOUT entries above. A person wanting the menu, can add them back in.

While pressing the "Shift" key is supposed to make the menu appear, I've had cases where it didn't work.

If you edit the above file and

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

this allows you to watch the systemd output while the system comes up.

If you have problems with "black screens" and want to debug, if the machine has a "real" serial port (not a USB RS232 serial port), you can make your DEFAULT above

"console=ttyS0,57600n8"

and as the system boots, it prints the systemd debug output to the serial port. I put a copy of putty on the other machine, and that's how I collect the output. This is handy for cases where not only is the screen black, but attempts to use control-alt-F3 or similar, the terminal session only appears for a second before control is yanked away from you. There are some bugs in the boot process, that are severe enough, a serial port is the best you can do when trying to get back into the machine.

The only problem with USB RS232 dongles, is if you unplug one and plug it into a different USB port, the address can change, rendering some "static" setup info null and void. The value of ttyS0 doesn't change, because the serial port in that case, it can't be unplugged. (It's part of the SuperIO chip.)

*******

systemd allows some parallelism, as the system comes up.

Some OSes are very fast as a result.

However, all it takes is one mis-configured systemd task, to "hold" the OS for inordinate periods of time. If systemd is dumped to the screen during startup, there will be a red asterisk animation showing what task is holding up the boot. Some distros you install, it's just one disaster of that type after another.

The Ubuntu server LiveCD, it has some "Cloud crap" on it, and that can hang up an install. At one time (for fun), i would install the server LiveCD, then use apt to install the DE as a meta-package. But with the addition of unnecessary Cloud crap (that hangs up at startup), I just don't have the energy to waste on fighting stuff like that.

It's the same with "snaps". Horrid horrid stuff.

But, it's all "progress".

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I have told you twice how to fix that.

You need to get the right defaults in /etc/default/grub, and run update-grub, as root or using sudo (for te edit and for the update grub command).

GRUB_DEFAULT=0 GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash quiet"

That is what should be in /etc/default/grub

What those lines mean are: Boot from the first entry in the grub menu if no action taken at boot time Don't wait for a key- just boot anyway Don't put anything up on screen will waiting While booting display the mint logo and don't display boot information

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It never worked. I will try again later.

Reply to
John

You need to focus more.

Reply to