LEDs and Temperature

I find the "filament" LEDs are only good for an enclosed/diffused shade, they are very glary if the actual lamp is in sight.

Reply to
Andy Burns

As regards straightforward replacement of tungsten with LED are going to be just fine with cooling if they were OK for tungsten. Could well be different with totally enclosed fittings - but they're going to be a small percentage. If the big variety of fitting I have in this house are anything to go by.

With a car, it doesn't take too much imagination to see that one which is abused isn't going to have as long a life as one driven sympathetically.

With a light, you don't have any choice other than on or off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Worse, IMHO. Unless you liked 'blue' light.

Yes - they are improving all the time. Which is odd since so many thought them perfect when they first arrived. Difficult to improve perfection. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The one I borrowed only lasted about 5 hours.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Try reading the specs supplied with those LED lamps. Then try to understand what they mean.

Could well be

What do you mean by abused ?

Some people have the ability and the technology to dim them. Some use edge triggering while others use PWM if run from DC.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I actually *prefer* modern LED bulbs to filaments

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I didn't consider them worth having until the price became comparable with CFLs - then bought a couple on special offer and never looked back.

Indeed. And the only criticism I have of the previous generation of Philips LED spotlamps is that they are too well collimated and directional. The other notable thing is that the LED functional equivalent to a nominal 60W incandescent is way brighter than the poxy output of a CFL claiming to be a "nominal" 60W. I got caught out with my first ever 60W equivalent LED being far too bright!

Reply to
Martin Brown

If you want the same effect as a clear glass GLS, then they are fairly comparable, but otherwise they work well behind shades etc.

Unlike the ones with frosted dome and an opaque base, they give the full close to 360 degree output pattern you get from a GLS.

Reply to
John Rumm

For some applications I do as well. For example in my office I want a more "work like" light, and so have 5x 60W equiv "daylight" lamps, and that gives a good light that is easy to read and work in. Its also bright enough to not seem "blue".

Reply to
John Rumm

The CFLs tended to claim surveillance to a "soft tone" GLS lamp which is dimmer than a "normal" 60W in the first place, and thats before they start with the outright bull claims they heaped on top!

The first spots I got (3 LED cree) were ok, but were still slightly discontinuous in spectrum - lacking a bit at the red end. I found I needed to run a couple of 20W halogens in the multi way fitting to get a comfortable light from them. The last couple of LED hut "warm white" LED GZ10 replacements I got recently, are actually better and would be fine on their own without any halogen infill.

Reply to
John Rumm

Since you don't drive or know anything about cars, why ask?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or find an on-line preview copy.

After destroying a LED with a soldering iron..... [quote]what else can you do with your newly acquired soldering skills?[/quote]

The instruction to the students, presumably young children, is to take a mains power cord with an USA plug, chop the middle out of it and solder the two cut ends to make a shorter mains power cord.

There is also a chapter on learning how to burn yourself, choke yourself on fumes from burning insulation and lose any eye from flying debris by shorting out a battery and waiting for at least two minutes.

Reply to
alan_m

What did that say before the spiel chucker got it?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Equivalence ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

What makes you think I don't knnow anything about cars. ?

You don't know anythiung about LEDs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have already instructed the course organisers who wanted to use this book, the first edition of which I found even more serious errors in such as a circuit that couldn't have worked and didn't. we modify the book via/using labsheets. The student is meant to do what we instruct them to do in labsheets the academic writes them I review them and send them changes.

Last year I told them to include a UK plug diagram. Last year I told them NOT to do the 9V battery on the tongue. Last year I told them not to extend the lead on a PSU and that I would supply a lengh of two core cable and they would use that. I told them NOT to do the LED roasting in the last edition they called it broiling. I told them not to do the lemon experiment as I wasn't willing to pay for or shop for lemons, so the academic brought them in himself and that was totally OK by me. Last week I told them we do NOT use matrix board or perfboard and that rather than do as the book says we should instruct the students to use stripboard, the academic then altered the labsheet and prodiced a stripboard version. The book is a guide only I'd perfer us not to spend the money buying books but to write our own.

Yes and that's why we modify the course with labshhets the stends follow the book is used as a reference NOT as bloody Bible study !

Reply to
whisky-dave

Your comments about remote central locking on cars shows you don't drive one. Or know anything about them. Given it was about the first 'toy' fitted to cars some 25 years ago, after perhaps ICE.

Then refer me to one of my posts which supports your view.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Crikey.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No I don;t drive but I have friend s that do and I spent a few weeks helping a friend to strip down his TR6. I'm not an astronuat either but I know where the moon is.

Toys have been fited to cars for years, they are the extras not on other cars.

Have done multiple times where you think replacing a triac changes a dimmer from leading edge to trailing edge, care to list that triac you replaced again.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Right. Now impress me by saying you put it back together. But a TR6 dates from before remote central locking anyway.

I'd rather take the views of a driver on what is or not convenient on a car over a non-driver any day.

Let's just hope you're never an astronaut enroute to Mars, then.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any new car without central locking these days.

Ah. Thanks for proving once more you can't read. Or is it just don't understand what's written?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)