LED v CFL bulbs

Ikea went all-LED about a year ago. Trouble is, the lamps stocked are abysmally poor performance - I would have rejected those 2 years ago.

Home Bargains used to have some 6500K lamps and also 120 deg. GU10s. Last time I looked the range was less.

Reply to
PeterC

My local supermarket has just had a refit with each aisle now having a single continuous linear LED fitting down the middle.

The lighting level seems surprisingly high, and beam spread appears pretty good.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I have to say that does not reflect my experience.

I have put LEDs, either new fittings or G4 replacements, in my caravan, and found that some of them are much brighter.

For instance the old twin tube fluorescent had probably dimmed somewhat, but this:

is really bright. It wasn't cheap, but the switches on the old fittings were failing too, so I didn't consider just replacing the tube.

In the toilet and awning light fittings, I was able to use:

which is brighter than the original halogen.

This works well fitted over a mirror in which I was never previously able to see to shave:

and this gives much improved under-cupboard illumination for the kitchen work top, compared with the old halogens:

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

As cool white and daylight variants?

But did the reduction in range reflect concentration on warm white only?

My point was whether there is a move towards warm white at retail level not the general properties of LED lighting. .

Reply to
Scott

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 08:41:16 +0100, "Jim in Hamhaig ...." coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

All the pound shop ones I have examined use capacitive wattless droppers, so it's not supprising.

Reply to
Graham.

I'd think most know an LED is more efficient than tungsten. My problem is buying one which says it is a 100 watt equivalent only to find it is not - and noticeably so.

If I'm happy with a particular light level/quality, that's what I want of any replacement, since it is the primary purpose of a light. Seems to me many think saving money is the primary purpose of a light. In which case leave it switched off. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bet they don't sell those, though. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indicator LEDs have never been much use for general purpose lighting.

It would be nice if that were true, however you are dealing with different technology, different topology, and vastly different power levels.

The technology is different because a (non RGB) illumination LED is typically a hybrid device, that uses a blue spectrum LED to excite a more traditional phosphor coating to produce white light, rather than the output from the LED being used directly. (indicators LEDs are very narrow band - producing a discrete single colour. Its partly this that makes them so efficient)

Indicator LEDs are point light sources that tend to be very directional. Not desirable qualities for general purpose lighting.

Indicator LEDs have a very good life because they are run very gently compared to illumination LEDs. So they generate little heat. Heat is a major enemy for LED life span.

All of these have been very significant technical challenges to overcome in the quest for a practical white light source from LEDs.

Perhaps you should show us your PSU design that is rock solid reliable for 20k hours+

Reply to
John Rumm

Which is also why just using RG&B LEDs may not produce the full spectrum of colours.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd get some in ready and try them out before the CFL blow, you might not l ike the 'cold' colour ones so get a 'warm' one too . You could try mixing t hem that might help you get used to the differtn colour temperature and the mostly spotlight effect you tend to get with LED bulbs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have a very cheap remote controlled RGB LED floodlight where the individual colours are adjustable. The white light it produces is quite poor. Its impossible to adjust so it doesn't have an overriding hint of one of the primary colours.

Reply to
alan_m

I wasn't aware my TV could reproduce near-UV and near-IR, until I saw Grishnan Guru-Murthy's tie the other night ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Haven't looked for a couple of months - the website is the best place to find out.

Probably varies from store to store. All I noticed was that some of the lamps that I had bought were no longer in there :-(

ISTR that preety well all retailers had WW only; some, at least, now have CW.

Reply to
PeterC

So the point of your comment was ... what?

Seems I have looked and you are just guessing..

Which ones, or it this just another guess?

Reply to
Scott

and whether that spectrum matches what the eye is used to, don't forget that just because you have the full spectrum it doesn't relate to human eye sensitivity.

Reply to
whisky-dave

ISTR the comparison was against a pearl 100W lamp - and then probably a

240V one running at 230V just to help manipulate the figures:-)

BTW I put a lightmeter app onto my phone the other day and compared it to the proper lightmeter we use at work.

It was surprisingly accurate.

Reply to
ARW

Well the ballast on my 38W DD 110V tasklight has died. So that's getting a 38W LED equivalent replacement in it to see how it works. There's nothing wrong with the tasklights case so I am reluctant to bin it and add to landfill.

But the new lamp nearly costs as much as a new tasklight. That's wrong.

Reply to
ARW

That is one thing I noticed when I relamped 2 years ago. There are now better LEDs that do not do this.

Reply to
ARW

replying to John Rumm, Iggy wrote: Thank you for backing me up. I still have 2 Earthwise bulbs going that are from

1998 and half a dozen Ecosmart Double-Life's, both are "rated" or "marketed" at 20,000-hours. While the Earthwise's only started out being on for 8-hours a day (5-years) they've been daily use bathroom bulbs since and seem to have proven themselves. I'd bank on Fluorescents, which have lead the way for close to a century. LED's should've beat them to a pulp from the start, but they don't and only try to match them.

The Ecosmarts, I've only had for a few years and quality's a problem with the brand, but those that worked from the start haven't had any issues and it's too early to tell. But, 4 of them have been 8-hours+ a day or 3000-hours a year. They're at a little more than 9,000-hours now, so only time will tell if they die or just keep going for another 3 to 5-years. So far, they've beaten any

8,000-hour bulb and were cheaper than LED's of then and now.
Reply to
Iggy

alan_m