LED torches

You can get your head far enough to see but not always in a way that a head torch can be pointed where you are looking.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

There seem to be several LED conversions for the AA Maglite. I started with the standard 3 LED replacement which is OK, but you loose the ability to focus the light beam. Based on my experience with the 5W conversions for the D cell Maglites (they are amazing! Check eBay for Terralux TLE-6EXB), I have ordered the same bulb for the AA (Terralux TLE-5EX), although there are a couple of slightly lower power version . I will let you know how it performs when it arrives if you are interested. BTW, although the delivery takes longer, buy from the US - the bulbs are half the price...

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Mobile phone camera is the answer to that ...

' '

.... until you drop the phone, oops ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

At the back of a computer that is against a wall, you can only pull it out so far. The problem now is getting both the head and hand round the back to plug/unplug a cable. Which I should have made clear in my post :-( I locate the socket by eye and use the sense of feel to connect up the cable. And I could think of many situations where I would be in my own light, but have enough left when the torch can be switched off, to continue what I was doing. Like reading what a label says in dim light, seeing what colour is what, when doing wiring.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hi Dave,

I got a 4 LED torch hich uses a couple fo AAA batteries from Poundland for £1.

It is great. I use for looking under floorboards and also in the shed and messing inside PC;s when the room light isn't sufficient.

Reply to
the_constructor

You should be able to get a better price than that -- 99p + £2.85 all the way from Hong Kong on eBay. Try a pound shop.

No. I haven't tried one, but I feel one coming on since it seems to be impossible to get replacement bulbs for traditional torches locally. Why do they sell torches but not bulbs??

Chris

You'd probably find Chris that bulbs cost more than a new torch.

Reply to
the_constructor

They are both the same firm. Look at CONTACT

Reply to
the_constructor

I tracked down the type I wanted in Maplin, late this afternoon, thanks. Many thanks to all who replied.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Dave writes

I always set up my PCs so that the cables allow movement to pull the box forward to provide easy access to the back

Reply to
Si

My problem with my wife's computer was that number 1 son would detach her rj 45 and plug it into his lap top to upload his photos to his web site.

As I am a high user of usb, he was beating me to my limit, so I reduced the network cable to its limit, so that he had no slack to plug into his laptop :-) Hence the need to not have too much room at the back of the computer.

He does not use this line any more :-)

My computer has about 1 or 2 foot of USB cable short, to allow me to pull it out to check on the back connectors, hence the need for a torch.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Poke a digital camera around the back and take a flash macro photo.

Reply to
Matty F

Any reports yet?

Any other views on the best value/ brightest/ most efficient?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I ordered the slightly lower power version, and it's fine. (TLE-5E, I think)

I ordered two sets from Batteryjunction.com. Fast and efficient, cheaper than buying from the UK. One set went into an AA Maglite, one into an AAA.

The light seems as good as with a bulb, but the typical LED 'colour'. Not so good in 'candle' mode, as the light source is flat rather than elongated.

I'll probably go for the TLE-5EX if I get any more, to get a bit more light.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I can't give a complete assessment of all the options, but my experience so far is:

Standard 3 led kit as sold in places like B&G; Light output is much whiter than the standard bulb but also not very well focused (and the focus is not adjustable). A worthwhile improvement for close range use but completely useless beyond about 6ft.

Terralux TLE-5EX; A completely different league! This is on a par with a D-cell Maglite for range... The light is much whiter. There are a couple of caveats though. Although the focusing works it is limited in it's effect. The beam starts as a tight cone but then seems to get the Maglite black spot in the centre as the focus is changed. Secondly, I would suggest that this bulb is used with a tail switch as the lens acts on the bulb for the on/off action. The rotation is resisted by the two little pins on the back of the bulb.

I hope this is of use to someone.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy