LED equivalent to 100W halogen dimmable bulb

Finally got round to ordering these and they are bright and they dim.

However the light is a lot more "white" than our current (no longer obtainable) halogen.

I assume that a lower colour temperature would be more mellow yellow?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Just ordered 3 at 27K temperature which is allegedly about the same as t6he halogens being replaced.

Just as well I only ordered a couple to try.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

A 100W halogen bulb can be replaced with an LED light that uses 10 to 12 watts, depending on the manufacturer, whether it's cold or warm light, etc. Here is an example of a 100w LED equivalent:

Personally I use a 60w dimmable equivalent from Integral and I am happy with them:

Jacob Andrews

The problem with dimming standard dimmable LEDs is that they don?t behave like incandescent bulbs as the dim. With the latter, the colour temperature becomes much warmer as it dims, which is generally the effect we?re after alongside producing fewer lumens.

With LEDs, the colour temperature stays much more constant and when dimmed, they end up looking cold and dingy by comparison.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'd say more what we're used to.

Having lived with dimming LEDs in my kitchen/diner for a while now I've got used to this. And take comfort in dimmed LEDs saving more money too - unlike dimmed tungsten which are horribly inefficient when dimmed.

But I would add the LEDs I'm using were pretty expensive.

Or even switching to a smaller bulb?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Reply to
newshound

Does depend on the bulb though - I have some Philips SES candle bulbs that do lower their colour temp with dimming. I expect that have both white and yellow LED elements and change the mix as they are dimmed.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you looked one post further down from the one you replied to (the most recent one) you would see that they have already been tested and work.

The issue is the colour temperature.

I was careful in my choice of dimmer and they seem to be coping well with LEDs so far.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Care to share the brand and model? I would be interested in those.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Philips DimTone or Osram GlowDim

Reply to
Matthias Czech

I have some Home Automation make dimmers - designed to fit the old MK grid switch system - which must be over 30 years old. Yet they dim dimmable LEDs perfectly.

I also have some newer 'touch' ones which don't. Sad, as I like the operation of those. Touch to switch on or off, and a longer touch to dim. Double touch reverses the action. Nice soft start too. And an actual push button rather than touch sensor. Also look extremely neat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It was these:

John Rumm

Thanks, but ?available for back order? at the moment.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This is not an idevice showing the wrong characters again is it?

184 in stock it says on mine!
Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, sorry. SES no use to me. I need standard bayonets.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ah, ok. Those claim to be back in stock on the 28th...

Reply to
John Rumm