LED domestic lighting

Could have been worse - they could have been rapidly gaining leverage!

a CRI of 85 would be considered poor for a fluoro, but is good compared with previous LEDs

Reply to
ben

Interesting article in todays New Scientist suggest that further research into tungsten filaments is showing that 50% efficiency may be possible - as opposed to 25% for fluorescents.

I have posted the article at

Dave Gibson

Do you read Viz ?

The Roger Irrelevant strip ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I can't read it :-(

What's more, I can't convert it into a readable form :-((

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What problem did you experience Mary? I can see it OK, and it's well worth reading.

Reply to
Grunff

It does not work with netscape 4.7 but is viewable with netscape 7

Reply to
Bob Minchin

What, you mean like from "science" into "English"?

It sounds a bit like me when the boss comes in and asks how its going... Well, I've come up with this really energy efficient lightbulb, ermm, except that I've only got it working in the near-infrared so far, and I don't quite know how it works yet either. Oh, and it violates Plancks law too. I'll get me coat.

Fascinating article though.

Reply to
ben

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Through the power of PSP screen capture and OP12...

Not sure what was wrong there.

Reply to
ignored

Thank you very much. It WAS worth reading.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hi Mary, sorry you appear to have trouble viewing the article. The only thing I can think of is that you are using an older browser which cannot handle highly optimised jpeg files, which includes progressive scanning. I have re-uploaded the article without the progressive scan option. I would be interested to know if you can now read it ok.

Thanks

Dave

PS Many thanks to the other Dave for doing an OCR on it!. That's some program that can do that at that resolution, I would be interested in the name of it. I normally have to scan at least at 600dpi to have any hope!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

In message , Dave Gibson writes

I used Paint Shop Pro to capture the image off screen (as saving the jpg to disk and OCRing that wasn't at all successful). I then used PSPs tool to remove some of the jpg artefacts before using Omnipage Pro 12

to OCR. OP12 didn't get the numbers right (too and zoo instead of 100 and 200) and a few words/names got garbled but it didn't leave much cleaning up to do.

Reply to
ignored

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by a browser never mind an older one!

So would I - but there was no url ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

COR! What a lot of trouble I've caused :-(

I couldn't even highlight the original to process it in any way. Couldn't save as, couldn't cut ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I do TRY to minimize confusion! Same as before:-

Dave Gibson

Thanks for that, I'll give it a look.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Are you using Internet Explorer? Try going to "Tools -> Internet Options... -> Advanced" and turn off "Automatic image resizing".

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Flegg

Keeping your software even moderately up to date can only help prevent this in future.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Yes, a surprising range for what is an infant industry. The price variability is impressive, from around £5 to over £100 for an MR16 12 volt halogen replacement. The price is no guide to the quality or output illumination, with the cheaptest units being 24 LED clusters sold by an American company and the most expensive being 48 LED clusters sold by another US company (the latter beign quoted as "incandescent white"). In Australia it's possibel to buy DIY lightbulb kits consisting of the base to which you must add the LEDs yourself.

Try a Google search on [ LED white replacement MR16] or [ LED white replacement GU10 ] for more details. The power consumption is about 2-5 watts per bulb and the light output appears to be equivalent to a 20W incandescent. The makers quote 50,000 hours life, but a recent R4 news item mentioned that 150,000 hours is more typical for an LED.

Reply to
Steve Firth

As it's just the image alone rather than in a web page, MS IE is being 'clever' and shrinking it to fit the window. After it has loaded, wave the mouse somewhere else, then bring it back over the picture and an icon will overlay the bottom right corner. Click to get it back full size.

Toby.

Reply to
Toby