Learning to Plaster

I'd like to learn to at least skim walls pre-tiling. How difficult is plastering to learn? Thanks, Ed.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

Plastering is easy to learn, although it takes a lifetime to perfect.

I reckon I've plastered easily a few sq miles of area up to now, although I'm no expert, and i doubt anyone is....the idea, I think, is to not think 'I've plastered it, I'm finished', the idea is to think, 'I've plastered it, now let's get started'...once the plaster is on the wall, this is when the work begins, not ends, once you've got that into your head, your 3/4 of the way there.

1) plasterers don't use electric (or any other type of) sanders, ever. 2) you don't leave a ceiling/wall alone once there's wet plaster on it, if you do, you are making hard work or yourself later. 3) once a ceiling/wall is completely covered in plaster it is ready for another coat or trowelling up, it's *never* ready to be left for 30 mins while you have a brew / dump / natter, you can do these when it's finished
Reply to
Phil L

Thanks for the replies, both.

Ed.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

Reply to
Curious

Search back on google. I've posted a few quite detailed posts on how to plaster, as have others. You can practice skimming on a sheet of plasterboard firmly fixed to a wall. Some unobtrusive area such as a cupboard under the stairs or inside the garage might also be useful areas to practice on.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

To get a level surface for tiling - not hugely difficult. Fix battens to the wall which are true then use a 'straight edge' between them. To get a perfect surface for decorating is more tricky. As is making a decent job of a whole room by eye. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)