Leaky Loo & urine stinking floorboards

When I bought my house (almost a year ago) I noticed in hot days that there was an odd, minging and familiar smell in the bathroom and kitchen (below the bathroom).

IEventually I stripped my kitchen ceiling pannels away only to discover a few damp marks where leaks occured. The dark ones did not concern me too much, but the white one did. The white patch looks & smells like crystalised urine and is right under the toilet so I ripped the laminate flooring to reveal a few crystally urine marks.

My plan now is to unscrew the toilet, remove the toilet (I don't have a clue how to do any of this), remove the floorboards in the area and assess the damage. I will probably need to remove the fibre glass insulation in that section and replace they plasterboard on the kitchen ceiling.

Can anyone see any flaws in my plan?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
stevelikesapint

Something was recommended in here the other day for urine smells - prochem urine neutralizer

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Thanks Colin.

I spoke to Express Cleaning Supplies today, the lady I spoke to said it might not work on urine once it has crystalised. I'm more worried about the insulation and whatever else underneath to be honest.

Reply to
stevelikesapint

urine doesn';t hurt anything much, and eventually it getrs turbed into stuff that is much nicer.

But stuff like this is why I always got for vinyl or tiles.

And its NOT just men either..ladies spray worse than men do. No dangle angle..its a rimshot every time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could this be used in evidence that the seat should always be left up?

Reply to
Andy Hall