Leaking chimney, but where is the water getting in? (see pics)

The flashing on a closer look , dosen`t look that clever, the open corners aint going to help.

The silicone sealant on the chimney is simply wrong, combined with at least 3 separate obvious goes at pointing repairs, different colours of mortar, looks like pointing has given previous people,greivous repair despair.

Damp ingress can go from being a minor inconvenience to a major repair scarily quickly, had a 200quid blocked gutter turn into 12grand major roof repair beacuse of wet rot, only took 2 years of everyone thinking somone else was getting it fixed.

If you want a betting game , try damp in ground floor, is it rising damp, interior condensation, water run off from local park, broken Scottish Water supply pipe or alien ectoplasm, alien ectoplasm would be Scottish Water`s preferred explanantion, throw a double six for the correct answer, including if your a surveyor....

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

what purpose would having lead flattened out ontop of the felt round the stack add?

so all that's wrong you reckon is the lead needs to be wider and lap onto the felt and not gobbed up with silicone anywhere??!!

we'll see (I hope :>))

do you do clairvoyance parties too?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I must congratulate you for your patience in dealing with such an utter idiot. And take any kudos back from you for not having realised it was a lost cause.

He will never grasp that when you have an obstacle like a chimney you have to set the shed to ground the water around the outside.

All he can see is a Band Aid of lead. He will never be able to grasp more than that.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I've taken a bunch more pictures, and can now see that there is definitely lots of silicone in the gaps. I assume the silicone sealant is specified for external use. Does it have a long life?

The most interesting pic is

which shows a hole with a *bit* of silicon in it.

've started running water on bits of the roof/chimney to find out what is leaking, working my way up from the bottom. Nothing has come through yet, but I do see another problem - see this video...

'm going to give the company a ring tomorrow and give them a piece of my mind.

Calum

Reply to
Calum

seriously silicone in that appication is a bodge, maybe they were "testing a theory" but silicone is *not* the longterm answer to that stack's issues...

keep it cool and logical, common sensical, decide what you want them to do before you ring them, that may well be "just come and look and discuss how you are going to put it right"

was repairing the flaky stack in the spec/quote for the job? if not then ideally they should have told you how s*1t it was and asked you what you wanted doing whilst they are up there, but they could try and argue it wasn't part of of the job quoted and charge you extra to fix.

have you fully paid yet? just puts you in astronger position to get satisfaction before they poss. contemplate "doing one" and leaving you with the problem - and seeing if you can be arsed to chase them for redress....

keep us posted

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

In article , Calum scribeth thus

Well I can't say I've ever seen silicone sealant as good as what it can be to point bricks up;!..

What a bodge job this looks. I'd be inclined to put a complaint in writing and recorded delivery and get an independent inspection.

Do you really want this lot back again?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Thanks Jim. Luckily I'm not too hot headed. But I will convey my annoyance that the company's site manager said he inspected himself, and he could see nowhere that the water might get in. He just didn't look around the other side. So far I've got on with the company very well, but they are now trying my patience.

The quote was for providing the loft conversion at fixed price i.e. they explicitly took the risk of unforseen circumstances like additional structural work etc. Luckily we haven't paid fully yet.

Reply to
Calum

I strongly agree. I would tell them to hold whilst you get an independent surveyor to list all the defects and the remedial work/ cost.

What is going on with those ridge tiles at the edge of the flat roof? I've never seen anything like that before. From your pictures I can't quite work out where the chimney is in relation to that sloping section that leaks under the soffit. If you can do without the chimney it might be worth removing it below tiles and tiling over that section. It would be another area to eliminate leaks. To be honest if it were my roof I'd want the whole lot stripping off and redoing properly -otherwise it will always be leaking somewhere due to the numerous bodges.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

this looks. I'd be inclined to put a complaint in

despite my usual distrust of profeshunals (esp surveyors) I think dave's surveyor suggestion could be well "on the money" on this one - too many things going on up there for comfort...

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

job this looks. I'd be inclined to put a complaint =A0in

Why don't we all send two halfpennies in and pay for

to turn up and see what everyone else can see, then report back?

I'd love to get him on a roof. But not for long.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

job this looks. I'd be inclined to put a complaint in

you forgot your pills again?

Reply to
Jim K

Perhaps email him a link to your video :-0

Suggestion of tanking a loft room was a bit of an alarm bell to be sure to be sure...

Beware of getting into argument about state of chimney, which may be contributory but reasonably not part of contract, not reasonable to start pratting about with silicone on pointing though, makes it harder to do propery after. Lead work from any angle is clearly indequate, site manager didn`t need to look closely, was it him who suggested the tanking?

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby