Laying floor tiles with a wavy edge?

I'm about to make my first ever attempt at laying ceramic floor tiles. I've read various guides on the internet and from Wickes and watched the Topps DVD on measuring, laying out and cutting etc.. But there has been no mention of what to do with tiles having a wavy edge.

The tiles I've bought are basically a 33cm square in overall shape but each edge is not straight but rather a little bit wavy. Regardless of the orientation I choose there seems to be a varying gap alongside each tile when laid next to its neighbour. I've laid a few out by hand (no adhesive yet) and they look OK to me but I haven't used tile spacers and don't even know whether I can/should use them. Is there any advice for laying such tiles "correctly"?

Thanks, Tim.

Reply to
Tiny Tim

Sample pictures here....

here....

Tiny Tim

Looks like tile spacer wont wort too cleverly. I'd just lay the ensuring they are level, the joints run in a straight line and no tile butt together (5mm at tightest point where 2 'bulges' meet

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

I got them from Wickes (Brentwood) for the princely sum of £6.39 per box of 9 (=£6.99 per sqm), currently on discount. We chose them for the surface appearance rather than the wavy edges and I must say they look really good in the flesh.

It certainly puts Topps to shame when they are charging upwards of £2.50 per tile compared to 71p at Wickes.

Reply to
Tiny Tim

I have these in my conservatory and just used normal tile spacers (large ones) at each corner in the usual way. Works out fine in practice. The idea of the wavy line is to give that 'not quite perfect' look which I'm good at. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And their grout and adhesive is bloody expensive as well! I've only ever bought tiles off Topps once and they were on special offer.

Ref your floor tiles, The spacers will still be useful but also cut up the tile boxes into several strips and use this cardboard, folded up as required, to use for spacing as well. Providing you mark up the floor properly you'll know you're staying square.

Reply to
daddyfreddy