lawnmower blade...

I have *stupidly* removed the blade from a Mountfield Empress lawnmower without noting the orientation... Now I dont know which way round to replace it! Should the edge bevel be facing downwards so that if you look at the blade on the mower you can see it or should the edge bevel be facing up so that when you look at it you just see the back of the blade...

Thanks in advance and yes I know that I should know better!

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

Dunno,but I would imagine there would be some form of indication somewhere on either the cutter itself or the body housing?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It happens all the time. If you lift the mower and place the blade on its mount and examine it. Put it on so that the cut grass is directed upwards rather than down when it is spinning. The rising part should be directing the grass upwards rather than down for that reason. That is regardless of the direction of the spin. Its easy to know when you look at it and think about it. when the grass is thrown upwards it is then released out the back or side of the machine

Reply to
noelogara

sharp edge towards the ground.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you lift the mower somewhat and then tug on the starter cord you want the sharp edge leading - i.e. travelling in the direction the engine turns as you pull the cord.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

To clarify, the non flat edge, i.e. the one where the bevel is cut should face the ground?

And that the blade should be oriented so that the scoops at the back of the blade are pointing upwards so that the grass is thrown up towards the grass bin?

Thanks to all :~)

Reply to
Cuprager

"Tim.." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

The ground surface of the blade faces up.

Chris

Reply to
Chris S-S

Yes.

since the demise of hovermowers, all blades are cut the other way - to throw grass upwards. In mulching system they are retained within the cutter deck till they are smashed to pieces..in a collector system the blades form a fan that blows them up and out

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Generally true, but the key issue is the sharp side is closest to the ground. Grinding the edge one sided makes that even more true, as the cutting line is on the blade base.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On mine they seem to be reversible - you turn them over when getting a bit blunt first time.

Reply to
normanwisdom

I refitted the blade last night and it was obvious as to which way round it should go once it was reunited with the lawnmowers deck!

Thanks to all for your help!

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

The message from Cuprager contains these words:

Often the marks from where the bolt head went give a clue.

Reply to
Guy King