Laths - why remove them?

Hi,

just getting into the full enjoyment of removing my diningroom ceiling.

Looks as though it has been repaired once as there were several smallish areas of newer plaster. Probably had the 'prop up on moist plaster' repair.

Not bad, becuase we haven't changed the ceiling paper for 20 years so it has lasted at least that long.

However about 70% of the plaster ceiling has fallen down mostly unaided, and I am starting on the rest.

The laths look pretty good.

So, as I was originally going to screw through the lath and plaster to put a second layer of plasterboard over the ceiling, can someone please remind me why I have to remove the laths, instead of just screwing up the new plasterboard with the laths still in place?

This avoids all the nasty brutishness of removing the laths and removing or driving in the nails.

The ceiling is lower by a lath thickness, but not as low as if I had covered both the lath and the plaster.

Looks to good to be true - is it?

Cheers Dave (dusty) R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

The laths may be uneven. The joists are likely to be all even across the ceiling. Put soft Rockwool bats in the void, as this is an excellent sound reducer. It would be foolish not to do this at this stage. So the laths have to come off.

Reply to
IMM

Told you it was good.

No, if you don't mind losing the hisght, just board onto the laths.

Reply to
Grunff

If the laths are well attached, level and cover the entire ceiling, I'd see no reason to remove them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ah, hope you put a thin layer of newspaper down to protect the carpet first ;-)

Dusty job, innit?!!!

I can't see a problem _if_ the laths are level, and if the plasterboard fixings go into and through the laths properly. If you're using screws to secure the plasterboard this shouldn't be an issue (originally typed "if you're screwing the plasterboard up..." but that just didn't read as I had intended...).

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

heh. Exactly what happens with some folk though. Why is it that some just cant do it?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton