Laser

The type of laser that's abused by wankers is typically something very much less powerful than the CO2; no more than 50mW and usually a lot less than that even. Green is more blinding than red due to the eyes' characteristics so wankers get more bang for their buck with green lasers.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Just for clarity, I have never attached that epithet to anyone. Not even to you.

Reply to
JNugent

I can't see anything wrong with James' postings either. Until such time as I do, I'll respond to any posts he makes in the same way I'd reply to anyone else here.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You've just done so by saying "even". You don't get to sleep with me tonight.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The wankers are those flying aircraft over my house and making a noise!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

As far as I know there has never been a case other than annoyance with untoward accidents or damage with these wankers playing with their toys,but it should be avoided just in case.

Reply to
FMurtz

rote:

the power unit. You'll need some water cooling aswell. I'll probably buy one to use as a precision cutting tool.

Trouble is yuo need quite a bit extra to go with it. You need a vacuum pump otherwise the fumes from the laser cutting get diposited on the lens and t hat seriuoly reduces the power of the laser you also have to regulaed the pulse of the laser otherwise it can set fore to certain materials when cutt ing, you also need a bed because when the laser passed through the materal you are cutting you have to stop the laser cutting anything else. On ours i t;s a special type of material that needs replacing every so often.A laser isnlt lijke a drill bit that has depth, the only way of adjusting depth if by pulsing the laser, they are very depenended on distance which is why the laser if focused. It';s not like a laser pointer, that you just point at the object and it st arts cutting.

Reply to
whisky-dave

and the power unit. You'll need some water cooling aswell. I'll probab= ly buy one to use as a precision cutting tool.

pump otherwise the fumes from the laser cutting get diposited on the le= ns and that seriuoly reduces the power of the laser

What if the laser was a reasonable distance (say 2 feet?) from the workp= iece?

Laugh if you wish, but would a domestic vacuum cleaner do to keep the fu= mes away?

fore to certain materials when cutting, you also need a bed because whe= n the laser passed through the materal you are cutting you have to stop = the laser cutting anything else. On ours it;s a special type of material= that needs replacing every so often.A laser isnlt lijke a drill bit tha= t has depth, the only way of adjusting depth if by pulsing the laser, th= ey are very depenended on distance which is why the laser if focused.

it starts cutting.

I've seen all sorts of lenses available on Ebay too, I'll have a play wi= th some. So if I focus it at the distance of the workpiece, it shouldn'= t cut what's behind it? (Especially if there's nothing behind it for so= me distance).

-- =

Little Sally came home from school with a smile on her face, and told he= r mother, "Frankie Brown showed me his penis today at the playground!" B= efore the mother could raise a concern, "Sally went on to say, "It remin= ded me of a peanut." Relaxing with a hidden smile, Sally's mum asked, "R= eally small, was it?" Sally replied, "No, salty." Mum fainted.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

rote:

nd the power unit. You'll need some water cooling aswell. I'll probably b uy one to use as a precision cutting tool.

pump otherwise the fumes from the laser cutting get diposited on the lens a nd that seriuoly reduces the power of the laser

I don;t really know I think you set the distance in mm where the beam is fo cused to cut, maybe you can download a user manual from somewher top see ho w these things operate.

I did,

I;m not sure it does depend on what your cutting we were cutting MDF and th at vapourizes what goes into MDF there;s a thick gunk that came off. Some plastics can give off nasty vapours too, you can cut card at low setti ng but sometimes it'll catch fire or burn the edge. We use our laser cutter for 'etching' marks in wood even making custom rul ers

fore to certain materials when cutting, you also need a bed because when th e laser passed through the materal you are cutting you have to stop the las er cutting anything else. On ours it's a special type of material that need s replacing every so often.A laser isn't like a drill bit that has depth, t he only way of adjusting depth if by pulsing the laser, they are very depen ended on distance which is why the laser if focused.

t starts cutting.

h some. So if I focus it at the distance of the workpiece, it shouldn't cu t what's behind it? (Especially if there's nothing behind it for some dist ance).

I'm not really sure I keep away from it so don;t get involved.

Reply to
whisky-dave

be and the power unit. You'll need some water cooling aswell. I'll pro= bably buy one to use as a precision cutting tool.

uum pump otherwise the fumes from the laser cutting get diposited on the= lens and that seriuoly reduces the power of the laser

is focused to cut, maybe you can download a user manual from somewher to= p see how these things operate.

nd that vapourizes what goes into MDF there;s a thick gunk that came off= .

setting but sometimes it'll catch fire or burn the edge.

set fore to certain materials when cutting, you also need a bed because = when the laser passed through the materal you are cutting you have to st= op the laser cutting anything else. On ours it's a special type of mater= ial that needs replacing every so often.A laser isn't like a drill bit t= hat has depth, the only way of adjusting depth if by pulsing the laser, = they are very depenended on distance which is why the laser if focused.

nd it starts cutting.

with some. So if I focus it at the distance of the workpiece, it shoul= dn't cut what's behind it? (Especially if there's nothing behind it for= some distance).

Why do you keep away?

-- =

Saturday morning I got up early, quietly dressed, made my lunch, and sli= pped quietly into the garage. I hooked up the boat up to the van, and pr= oceeded to back out into a torrential downpour. The wind was blowing 50 = mph, so I pulled back into the garage, turned on the radio, and discover= ed that the weather would be bad all day. I went back into the house, qu= ietly undressed, and slipped back into bed.. I cuddled up to my wife's b= ack, now with a different anticipation, and whispered, "The weather out = there is terrible." My loving wife of 5 years replied, "And can you believe my stupid husban= d is out fishing in that?" And that's how the fight started...

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

rote:

[...]

d it starts cutting.

with some. So if I focus it at the distance of the workpiece, it shouldn't cut what's behind it? (Especially if there's nothing behind it for some d istance).

Because then it would become my job to maintaince it and to help students w ith it. A simil;ar thing happened when I suggested students should be able to have access to a small pillar drill and handtools, it then became my job to train them, so you tend not to volenteer for such things and aviod show ing any interest.

Reply to
whisky-dave

tube and the power unit. You'll need some water cooling aswell. I'll = probably buy one to use as a precision cutting tool.

vacuum pump otherwise the fumes from the laser cutting get diposited on = the lens and that seriuoly reduces the power of the laser

am is focused to cut, maybe you can download a user manual from somewher= top see how these things operate.

F and that vapourizes what goes into MDF there;s a thick gunk that came = off.

ow setting but sometimes it'll catch fire or burn the edge.

an set fore to certain materials when cutting, you also need a bed becau= se when the laser passed through the materal you are cutting you have to= stop the laser cutting anything else. On ours it's a special type of ma= terial that needs replacing every so often.A laser isn't like a drill bi= t that has depth, the only way of adjusting depth if by pulsing the lase= r, they are very depenended on distance which is why the laser if focuse= d.

t and it starts cutting.

lay with some. So if I focus it at the distance of the workpiece, it sh= ouldn't cut what's behind it? (Especially if there's nothing behind it = for some distance).

nts with it. A simil;ar thing happened when I suggested students should = be able to have access to a small pillar drill and handtools, it then be= came my job to train them, so you tend not to volenteer for such things = and aviod showing any interest.

Take pride in your work man!

-- =

Computers are like air conditioners: They stop working when you open Wi= ndows.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 3:11:09 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wr ote:

rote:

nd the power unit. You'll need some water cooling aswell. I'll probably b uy one to use as a precision cutting tool.

pump otherwise the fumes from the laser cutting get diposited on the lens a nd that seriuoly reduces the power of the laser

You can work at a longer distance but laser beams are funny things and the longer your working distance the larger your spot size is going to be. This FAQ page gives a good summary of the situation

Halmyre

rote:

ts with it. A simil;ar thing happened when I suggested students should be a ble to have access to a small pillar drill and handtools, it then became my job to train them, so you tend not to volenteer for such things and aviod showing any interest.

That's what I do, I'm meant to be looking after the teaching labs on the 2n d floor not on my hands and knees in the basement trying to get a laser cut ter working after it's been misused by someone that doesn't know what they are doing. Same as I refused to collect the post/parcels for the department after they decided that equality meant women couldn't carry parcels.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Where I used to work there was a cleaner who always said "too heavy!" when she picked up my bin (which was usually full of dead hard disks and other metallic stuff). Under normal circumstances I would have told her she was unfit for her job, but since she was almost 60 and a very nice woman, I took it to the skip for her.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

be and the power unit. You'll need some water cooling aswell. I'll pro= bably buy one to use as a precision cutting tool.

uum pump otherwise the fumes from the laser cutting get diposited on the= lens and that seriuoly reduces the power of the laser

the longer your working distance the larger your spot size is going to = be. This FAQ page gives a good summary of the situation

The 50W CO2s use a lens, so presumably I can focus it.

-- =

The true mark of a civilized society is when its citizens know how to ha= te each other peacefully.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

rote:

n she picked up my bin (which was usually full of dead hard disks and other metallic stuff).

We have an electrical waste cage where such things are placed under our WEE E obligations. The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEE E Directive)

b, but since she was almost 60 and a very nice woman, I took it to the skip for her.

I guess thats a nice thing to do but our cleaners are here from around 10pm until just after midnight or so I don't get the chance to see them. When we do have heavy rubbish I try to spread it amonst all the bins so no one bin is to heavy for me to pick up with one hand. That's how I also gaug e shopping. If I can carry my basket of shopping around the supermarket the n I can carry it home too. But of I fill up a trolley, then I might either have too much stuff or it'll weight too much and break through the bag. Annoyingly those cardboard boxes of cat food sachets tend to split bags if something heany goes on top of them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

y!" when she picked up my bin (which was usually full of dead hard disks= and other metallic stuff).

our WEEE obligations. The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Dir= ective (WEEE Directive)

as we are no longer running that lab which was :- The students booting = up a PC via a linux DVD then dis-assembled the PC noting the bits and t= rying to keep taps on where the screws were, then put it back together a= gain as see if the linux DVD booted.

w studetns will need to do it as part of their career, nearly anyone tha= t buys a computer buys a laptop, even our so called desktops are mostly = all in one PCs.

for the timetable and then the lab sheet to be written, then I'll know w= hat hardware if any to buy in or find.

The only computers I threw in the skip were some mac classics I found in= a cupboard as my predecessor never threw anything out (to avoid paying = the =A310 fee per machine). Anything that anyone would want I simply pu= t on freecycle or Ebay. Did the same with masses of furniture aswell, s= aved them getting several extra skips for the refurb. Either that or th= e staff or kids took them home.

-- =

Giraffiti (n): Vandalism spray-painted very, very high.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You will need to get one for the right wavelength for best results. Best find out what it is first.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not sure if I'll bother, sounds a lot more expensive than a saw.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword