Large screen TV

Think at 70, your eyes are likely pretty well fixed focus.

My optician, a couple of years ago, initially gave me slightly more plus than needed for infinity. Not something you'd notice in the consulting room. But did when driving. His answer was it was a compromise most liked. I didn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'm sure you're right. Mine have been +2.75 (not 2.5) for at least 4 years, perhaps 6.

That is most interesting. It suggests there is an undivulged "agenda" that opticians apply to a patient's prescription, if the use of "most" is taken at face value. Well, if I am not keen and you are not keen, either we are outliers or the premise is wrong. There are many here who wear glasses and are probably long-sighted, I wonder if they have found their new glasses to be unsatisfactory because of that correction?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

There isnt any other way to do it.

Yes.

Yes it does.

Reply to
Joey

There is - an Autorefractor.

Reply to
Steve Walker

It doesn?t replace what he doesn?t like.

Joey

Fair enough.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yup. You can correct eyesight in an animal unable to communicate.

You must have noticed that your optician starts with correction very nearly there - even for a first prescription. Because he's measured the power of your eye first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I hadn't heard of that. Thanks for pointing it out.

The conclusions stated under "Retinoscopy" in that Wiki are based on old papers from about 15 years ago. Even the stated "recent studies..." references papers from 2006 and 2007.

If you look at ref 2, which is from 2005 (

), at the bottom of the paper is a list headed "Similar articles". The second paper is from

2019. and if you also look at the "Cited by" heading you will find papers from 2018 - 2021. I had a look at all the conclusions in these recent papers, and it seems to me the general view was that modern automatic methods give a satisfactory result, acceptably similar to clinical retinoscopy in most cases.

If I do a self-test for reading strength (eg at

), I can read down to the smallest line (+1.25D) without problem. Why then does my optician prescribe +2.75D glasses for me? I assume it's because of the responses I gave during the eye test, which is entirely subjective. I don't have an issue with corrective lenses for astigmatic issues, but I find the "solution" for long-sightedness less than satisfactory. Do those with short-sightedness have the same problem with their prescribed glasses?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Or, I assume, a human unable to read.

Do all opticians use autorefractors now, at least to start the diagnostic process?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I am very short sighted and have never had a problem with my prescribed glasses.

My optician did the autorefractor followed by the test with various lenses the last time just recently.

For decades I chose to wear the glasses that work best for the computer screen at about full arms length from my face even when out and about. The main downside with that approach is that you can fail to recognise people at a distance when out and about.

I now find a real problem with reading the labels on stuff when buying stuff in a supermarket and should really have a second pair to use in that situation so I don?t have to pick up the item to be able to read the label.

But I am about to have the cataracts done so havent bothered until I see what things are like with cataracts done.

Reply to
Joey

I take it you don't drive?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes I do and can read the small street signs with the street name on them and the car number plates fine.

I should have said that its only a problem recognising people when they are a long way away, hundreds of feet away.

Reply to
Joey

Certainly when I was a short sighted kid they used to under-correct for infinity, I suspect based on the theory that your eyes would "try harder" and otherwise deteriorate more rapidly. I always found that slightly irritating. For my "bike" test (silver numberplate days of course) I could not completely read the plate at the requested distance (which was more like 35 yards than 25), but fortunately a couple of paces was all I needed.

Reply to
newshound