Large screen TV

Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere convenient I could wall mount a TV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I wonder if it's down to the risk of it falling over onto someone (less likely when fixed to the wall)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't see what the attraction is. Always put our (admittedly tiny) 55 incher on a proper TV table. Much more comfortable!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

... but it usually is.

Reply to
JNugent

Many yonks ago at BBC training college, we were taught that a monitor for long term viewing (and most TV use fits this) should be below the eyeline.

Mush more recently I had physio for a bad back. One of their leaflets also said to make sure your computer monitor was below your eye level too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Look around the average living room. How many have a place for a wall mounted TV if not above the fireplace? (assuming you have one)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That seems to be more a function of height than actual wall mounting! (you could wall mount a set at floor level if you wanted!)

Reply to
John Rumm

The frustrating thing is that there must be loads of spare TV surface mounting stands about, but unlike rear mount options there does not seem to be any agreed standard for fixing centres etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

I wonder if that's because they're designed to take the weight of the specific set they were shipped with - if somebody mounts a heavier set or one with a different CoG they could topple. Meanwhile wall mounts will only topple if the wall does.

I think there are VESA mount surface stands, but they're fairly chunky and need to be correctly sized for the panel you have (unless adjustable).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I had no difficulty in finding a table stand with VESA standard holes

Reply to
charles

In the example here, the woman can watch TV without a neck issue... as long as she is standing. The stand happens not to adjust. Strike 1.

Then, a customer puts the item behind a desk, so if the TV falls forward, the desk blocks the stand from falling all the way forward. So this is a customer inspired "stability solution". Customers recognize that the law of gravity has not been repealed. Some ordinary low boy furniture, with bags of sand in the bottom where you can't see them, might suffice as a cover story. At one time, I would have heartily recommended filling the bottom of the furniture with steel plates, but those days of cheap steel are over.

Anyway, the purpose of showing this, is not to encourage you to buy one, because it fails on just about every stability metric. But, to use the idea of "furniture in front", as a means to prevent "rubbies" from leaning right on the screen. And with suitable carpentry and a VESA plate, you can have it all... with no connection to the wall surface whatsoever.

You'll need to crank it down a bit, to make it comfortable from the sofa. There is going to be a tradeoff between furniture height, and ideal viewing height. A 65" set will have "zero clearance" to the top of the furniture. There will be no room to be elevating it further. Not if viewing from the sofa.

You'll need to adjust the position of the sofa, for viewing the set (maybe 10 foot distance).

Now, if you need a VESA plate, VESA plates are just too expensive for the DIY mindset. That's why VESA plates are a licensing test for being a DIY. Notice the nice job the gentleman has done, to adapt a monitor for hanging. There are all sorts of variants, done with steel strapping or corner braces. I made one out of corner braces, so I could "hang a terminal" from shelving.

So your tasks are first looking up the correct ergonomics, then cobble some furniture to function as the "base" for your ghetto upright

2x4 with some sort of VESA plate interface near top. The furniture can't be too lightweight, or even with sand bags added to it, it might not be able to keep a 2x4 upright. Maybe making some home furniture out of solid pine is in the books.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

People always want them mounting too high up, and you can't tell 'em.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The problem is they visualise it as decor so want it at the height you'd hang a picture. But you watch the telly sitting down. It's a waste of time trying to tell people. Just mount is as they ask and take the money.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes - aftermarket ones are usually like that. But every other TV or monitor I've ever bought comes with a table stand, and they're not compatible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The secret is the right chairs. And popcorn.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

The weight is probably less of an issue these days when even large sets are fairly light, but the CoG issue will be more pressing.

Indeed - there are plenty of articulating arm style mounts for monitors etc that work like that, with a base either clamped or screwed to a surface. I use something similar heat to hold a pair of 28" monitors.

Reply to
John Rumm

No need to tell me. I wouldn't dream of fixing a TV to the wall.

Reply to
JNugent

In any case (mounting height notwithstanding), there aren't going to be very many places in an average size room where the set could be attached flat to a wall and be seen from the various likely positions of seating.

I don't remember any house I've ever lived in where the TV set wasn't placed diagonally in or near a corner so that its viewing angle took in either the whole room or pretty close to that.

Reply to
JNugent

Plenty of wall mounts that will allow you to swing the screen to any angle. The photo shows a 44? screen almost swung out at 90deg.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky