Large CH radiator?

Hi,

I want source a CH radiator for my Dad's bungalow, but it seems to be an obscure size. The existing rad is 400mm high x 3000mm wide. It seems that standard sizes which go upto 3000mm wide are commonly 450mm high, which won't fit as it's positioned underneath a large bay window.

Can anyone suggest somewhere which may stock this size please? We've been recommended delonghi rads as they have good heat output, but I'm unsure how valid this recommendation is.

BTW, the reason for changing it's because the old rad is ~40 years old and full of silt, and newer rads are supposed to give out better heat.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Stelrad do 300 high, otherwise flush the existing one and put it back on.

Reply to
adder1969

Have you thought of dropping it down a bit ? Is that possible or would it cause a problem

Reply to
anyoneanywhere

Three suggestions:

Check the nominal heat output of the present one, and also think whether it's sufficient / higher than required, then:

a) check whether you could fit a smaller one if it was a modern, finned type

b) if it's a single panel now, consider a double-panelled one (single or double-finned)

c) use two shorter ones, end to end. This may enable you to make big cost savings - B&Q sell 400mm high rads, for example, at £60 for a

1200mm long double (5040 Btu/h iirc at deltaT = 50C)

Otherwise, prepare the nose for payment through it.

Reply to
Autolycus

Newer rads have to obey the same laws of Physics as older ones, and only give out more heat if they are made to a different specification, such as having fins which the old one may not have.

If the problem is only one of silt, disconnect it and take it outside and give it a good blast out with a hose pipe.

If you really want to replace it but can't find one to suit, use two shorter ones, connected end to end.

Reply to
Roger Mills

And if that don't work, get a fan assisted one, which can do about 5 times the heat from a given size.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

. . . as long as you don't mind the noise!

Reply to
Roger Mills