Removing alarm system

I want to remove our alarm as the mains feed for the control box has
been taken off a socket in another room and tucked behind carpet
gripper for a couple of metres. Nice.
A little experiementing a while back taught me that the external bell
boxes have battery backup and trigger when both the mains and battery
in the control box are removed. So presumably I need to get up a
ladder to disconnect those batteries before powering down the control
box.
My question is what happens when I do this? Will the bell box that
I'm playing with go off when the battery is removed? Will some anti-
tamper setting mean that the other bell box on the other side of the
house goes off?
TIA.
Reply to
Bromley86
wrote in message
Do known if the other bell box is just a dummy one?
Just remove the battery at the bellbox front first,if the other is not a dummy? what the hell you're going to silence it anyway.
Reply to
George
Put a battery (usually 12v) on the appropriate wires to the bells. That'll take the place of the continuous voltage being supplied by the control box. I put a junction box in the loft to do this; I intended (but haven't yet) to put a bettery and switch with it.
Reply to
Bob Eager
If you have a back up battery in the control panel then the bell box should not go off if the mains is disconnected. If you want to remove the whole system, try and get a copy of the control panel manual - there may be a way of removing it without triggering the bell.
Reply to
daddyfreddy
In article ,
Typical pro installation, then?
It should be difficult to get inside - anti tamper screws etc. And an anti tamper switch if you just try and prise it off the wall.
Personally I'd just let it go off. Do it at a sensible time of the day. You can always stand outside the open front door looking wistful and checking your watch. That's assuming the internal batteries still work which is unlikely anyway.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
Thanks all. I hadn't considered anti-tamper switches on the bell box casing itself, so I'm rather glad I didn't have a go at it before posting here!
It doesn't seem to have the model number on it, so there's little chance of tracking down the manual (that said, there can't be many key- operated alarms from 2001/2 out there). Guess I'll go with Dave's suggestion after warning the neighbours.
Reply to
Bromley86
If you *do* decide to open the bellbox, wear earplugs. They can be quite noisy close up.
I had to replace my own after we had a new carpet done. Assuming they had put a nail through a wire, I called a pro in to tell me what it was intending to sue them for the damage. He told me it was just chance. So I fitted a new one - and found the short while I was doing it...
Andy
Andy
Reply to
Andy Champ
In article , Andy Champ writes:
I played with mine in the living room before fitting to get to grips with how it worked (stuffed the siren in the middle of the sofa with all the cushions piled up on it;-) ISTR finding it was more intelligent than I had at first imagined. If you put the panel into engineer test mode, you could then open the siren box without it going off.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel
I had my panel and bell box changed last summer. The electrican left me with a single sheet instruction leaflet, how to reset, change code etc. Within half an hour of him leaving I'd got the full manual from the internet. Never tried that with the old key panel though. (When I mentioned that there was a box at the back of the house he said straight away, without looking, that it was a dummy. Is it standard practice to fit them at the back?)
Reply to
Peter Johnson
Yes unless you stipulate you want an active bell box at the bac as well. I have both boxes active on the front&back. Apparently this is where most house burgalries take place lol.
Reply to
George

Site Timeline Threads