Domestic grease trap?

I normally try not to put any fat down our sink and when I do, I make sure I
use plenty of detergent & hot water but I was a bit horrified when our
drains were dug up (for an extension, not for blockage) to see this.
'm going to be a *lot* more careful in the future but given that everything
is getting revamped, I was wondering about a grease trap for the drain. A
quick seach just seems to throw up catering sized traps. Are there any
smaller ones for domestic use?
Tim
Reply to
Tim Downie
our local water company, they showed me a waste pipe about 4 feet diameter, a lot of which was fed from a potato crisp factory. Without exaggeration, there was a layer of grey solid grease some 18 inches thick, which regularly blocked the pipe.
The difficulty the water company had was that the pipe had been largely paid for by the above factory.
Reply to
Frank Erskine
Better to leave fat to cool and then bin it I would have thought. Oil and detergent is ok though. Oil or fat plus caustic soda equals soap with a greatly increased volume and, being only slowly soluble, it can create more of a blockage initially.
Reply to
Stuart Noble
Don't think I ever suggested to the contrary. ;-)
Can't see any chemical agent being any good on a pipe that size when everything you chuck down the drain will flow through the hole at the bottom. Although I've no intensions of chucking any quantities of fat down the drains there's always likely to be *some* that goes down so I'd still be interested in a domestic grease trap.
Tim
Reply to
Tim Downie
In article ,
Can't see why you'd need to. You don't have to put insoluble fat down a drain. If you don't keep it for re-use - as our parents or grandparents used to do - put it in a container and out with the rubbish.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
There is always some tip off that is too contaminated for reuse.
Anyway my grandmother used to keep everything and every time I ate her 'left overs' I had the squits for a week.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
On Jan 26, 9:14=A0am, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
=A0 London SW
I once heard that at Bradford sewage works, they use to collect so much lanolin and fat from the local wool-processing factories, that it was mixed with something - paraffin? - and used to fire the steam locos. which were used on the works railway. Nothing new about power from waste!
Reply to
4square

Site Timeline Threads

  • site's last updated in