OT humour - Work .vs. Prison

Apologies to anyone who's seen this before but I hadn't & it's funny. (IMVHO)

Work vs. Prison:

Just in case you ever get these two environments mixed up, this should make things a little bit clearer.

@ PRISON You spend the majority of your time in a 10X10 cell

@ WORK You spend the majority of your time in a 6X6 cubicle/office

@ PRISON You get three meals a day fully paid for

@ WORK You get a break for one meal and you have to pay for it

@ PRISON You get time off for good behaviour

@ WORK You get more work for good behaviour

@ PRISON The guard locks and unlocks all the doors for you

@ WORK You must often carry a security card and open all the doors for yourself

@ PRISON You can watch TV and play games

@ WORK You could get fired for watching TV and playing games

@ PRISON You get your own toilet

@ WORK You have to share the toilet with some people who pee on the seat

@ PRISON They allow your family and friends to visit

@ WORK You aren't even supposed to speak to your family

@ PRISON All expenses are paid by the taxpayers with no work required

@ WORK You get to pay all your expenses to go to work, and they deduct taxes from your salary to pay for prisoners

@ PRISON You spend most of your life inside bars wanting to get out

@ WORK You spend most of your time wanting to get out and go inside bars

@ PRISON You must deal with sadistic wardens

@ WORK They are called managers

Reply to
Si

Come Inside (Bert Hansel?)

"I was outside a lunatic asylum one day, busy picking up stones When along came a lunatic and said to me, "Good morning Mr. Jones, Oh, how much a week do you get for doing that", "Thirty bob I cried" "What, thirty bob a week, with a wife and kids to keep? Come inside you silly bugger come inside"

"Come inside you silly bugger come inside, you ought to have a bit more sense. Working for your living, take my tip, act a little screwy and become a lunatic. Oh you get your meals most regular and a brand new suit besides. What's thirty bob a week with a wife and kids to keep. Come inside you silly bugger come inside."

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I reckon .. that is in rather poor taste Dave...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

It is a well known (music hall ?) song

been around for years - It does have a message if you look behind the PC

Reply to
geoff

Why on earth should you think that?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , tony sayer writes

I work in mental health (I'm not a teacher Mary) and at times experience severe mental ill-health myself.

Apart from the lunatic misnomer which was of its time I found Dave's post both funny and accurate. Of course the suggestion that someone who bends over picking up stones for a living is a Friend of Dorothy could be seen to be grossly offensive.

Reply to
Si

In article , geoff scribeth thus

So did the workhouse .. and I'm not being politically correct!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Ever been or had anyone you know "inside" as it is put?...

Reply to
tony sayer

No, but;

I didn't write the song, its a very old folk song. It must date back before WW2 going by the wages.

Its not IMO offensive to people with mental ill-health, it fact it portrays the stone collector as a fool.

It's tongue in cheek & meant to be humorous.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Where did that come from? Offensive to Gay people or classic film fans? Or stone collectors?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well I found it humorous anyway. It seems there is always someone leaping on the pc bandwagon whatever one says nowadays, often making issues where none exist. I've got a family member who's been in such an institution and I know for a fact he'd find the song amusing. Some people try too hard not to offend the sensibilities of others - and in doing so are simply patronising towards them.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Don't worry about it Dave - it was an attempt at humour[*] The song has repeated references to the stone gatherer being a 'silly bugger'.

FWIW, with extensive experience of inpatient MH services, I'm frequently tempted to give up work and make a career of being permanently 'on the inside'.

[* Another example of my bad SoH was recently when I had cause to drop a faecal specimen in at the GP for SWMBO - I asked if someone had forgotten their packed lunch.]
Reply to
Si

In message , tony sayer writes

Maybe "Only come down for the day" is another you might like to avoid then

Reply to
geoff

OK .. its been a long day and there was a reason but it was sometime ago and shes no longer around....

Reply to
tony sayer

Whatever ...YMMV as they say...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

If you actually read the words of the song, it's the people inside who are the sane ones, those on the outside a bit crazy

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

from a review[*] of Sarah Kane's amazing, powerful, last play - 4:48 Psychosis... (I went to its opening run at the Royal Court):

"4:48am ? the time most suicides are purported to take place. Said to be the time of night when people suffering mental disorders report feeling very clear and cold, while those outside perceive them to be in their deepest delirium. The title is also a reference to C.S Lewis? The Silver Chair, in which a prince experiences one hour of sanity every night, perceived by everyone else to be an hour of madness.

The notion of who defines what is ?sane? and ?insane? and by what criteria is a central theme in British playwright Sarah Kane?s work. According to her, ?in order to function in this society you have to cut off at least one part of your mind. Otherwise, you?d be chronically sane in a society that?s chronically insane?. Or, as Edward Bond, an influence on Kane?s work, put it: ?We live rational daily lives, but our societies make grotesque weapons, economically destroy their environment, make some rich and others poor, some powerful and others impotent and in these and other ways are flagrantly unjust.? Kane saw it as a question of wanting to switch off and get on with life, yet not being able to live in a switched off state."

Now, back to DIY (and SK's DIY is not generally recommended.)

Reply to
Si

In article , Si scribeth thus

Cobblers....