Laptop seems to be overheating?

Do yu always drive at full throttle in the lowest possible gear except when braking at maximum G for a corner, as well?

Or are you just a clueless idiot?

ONLY time my CPU maxes out is doing stuff like rendering a 3D object and that takes a minute or three. If its maxed out any other time, I find out what's doing it, and kill it. Otherwise teh CPU PEAK speed is there to make things like a window round the screen happen smoothly and fast. The rest of the time CPU is not needed by and large. You want the peak speed, but you shouldn't be using more than a tiny fraction normally.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Correct, the OP stated that it gets hot enough to cut out, which indicates a hardware problem. There *may* be a problem with the firmware not throttling the clock to reduce overheating problems, but that's unlikely.

He's not necessarily clueless.

My machines regularly get 100% CPU use for up to an hour at a time. They also regularly suffer from HD and Network saturation for a few minutes at a time. This is true no matter how fast they are, as I work with video, both editing and rendering. The only difference machine speed makes is that the video is rendered in half the time if the processor and memory are twice the speed. A simple job like rendering a 3D building design for a two bedroom house takes under a minute, as you say.

In fact (Looks right) there's one here been at 100% CPU for half an hour now, just updating itself.

Reply to
John Williamson

I have a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop running XP Home SP3, it'd never shut down but did seem to be running hotter and hotter doing the same tasks, sucked the dust out of the processor vents using the vacuum cleaner, now runs much cooler. Gave up trying to strip it down to do the job properly, external cleaning seems to have done the trick.

Reply to
airsmoothed

MM. If you are really doing that, surprised you do it in a PC..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't afford a Cray.... :-)

Video rendering for a short clip *used* to be an overnight process. Depending on which machine I use, it now happens just a bit slower than real time. Or somewhat faster, if it's just changing the bit rate. Taking three or four streams and rendering to a single output with effects is slower. The really slow bit, though, is actually shooting and editing the footage. The fastest so far was a simple, single camera shoot of a dozen or so scenes which resulted in 30 seconds of useable footage which took ten minutes once I got onto location. Actually editing and rendering took under half an hour, of which about two minutes were spent rendering. It really needs another half an hour spending on the sound, too, but I was just doing a proof of concept.

2 minutes 15 seconds of useable footage at Disney took three hours to shoot, and a couple of days to edit, and that bit takes the same no matter what system you use.
Reply to
John Williamson

Indeed. High CPU usage is down to software not hardware. Whether one considers this a problem or not obviously depends on the circumstances.

If you are getting 100% loading while running something computationally intensive then this is normal and nothing to worry about. If however you are seeing it all the time, even when the machine is apparently idle, then it is a problem that needs investigating.

See above.

Its not clear what the OP meant by "labour intensive tasks" - i.e. who's labour; his or the computers?

Editing a document is a labour intensive task (from a users point of view) but probably won't stress the computer much of the time.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you take a 3GHz processor, and stretch the timescale so that one clock cycle takes one second, an L1 cache access takes 3 seconds, and a main memory access takes 4 minutes, then, for someone typing at 60wpm, the CPU has to hang about for *twenty years* between one keystroke and the next.

BartC

Grow up!

You are the clueless one. Are you related to dennis, by any chance.

You clearly have no idea about computer system design.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Stop digging that hole.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

ROFLMAO!!!

To man who has written operating systems and designed digital hardware, and spent over 15 years of his life administering large computer systems as well as programming them, that is a keyboard destroying "coffee moment".

Thanks for the best laugh of the day so far.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So explain why a PC vendor would design a system that was incapable of supporting 100% processing load on the CPU for an extended period.

Then explain how those of us who have real world experience of using

*real* applicatiopns that *do* use 100% CPU for extended periods manage it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Nothing there about *system* design, which includes thermal management for the underlying hardware.

I take it from your previous commebts that non of your designs were spec'ed for 100% utlilization without overheating.

Says it all really.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

For the same reason that only formula one cars are designed to be driven flat out hard on the throttle or hard on the brakes 100% of the time.

It simply is not useful to carry all that extra brake and engine cooling when the power is needed only in short duration ,and on the average DESKTOP or LAPTOP mostly the processor spends its time 95% idle.

Only graphics apps or really complex maths tasks, or multiuser servers do that.

Hardly the stuff of a consumer laptop.

If something is chewing up 95% of the resource whilst not doing much its a software bug.

Seen it in javascript a lot. Kill the browser hat is apparently doing nothing at all, hey presto. Got my CPU back.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Transcoding video - say running DVD Shrink or Nero creating a DVD from non MPEG2 sources will use 100% CPU for extended times - especially on lower end hardware.

Running a modern 3D game will also stress it fairly well for long periods.

Reply to
John Rumm

Desktop and laptop computers *do* carry all the extra cooling. In a desktop it often takes the form of an effing great heatsink and fan, in case you hadn't noticed. Laptop CPUs are different beasts, but still have all the cooling (or power management) neccessary to continue running whatever the processing load. Facts that you seem not to understand.

It's not clear that anyting was "chewing up 95% of the resource whilst not doing much", if you actually read the OP.

Shutting down due to overheating is a *hardware* bug, end of.

So, the fact you were able to do that shows that the CPU was still performing and responding as designed. It did not overheat or shutdown, because that doesn't happen with software bugs that hammer the processor.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yep. BUT that was not something a 5 year old Lappie would have been designed to do.

Not here. Graphics card does all of that..again, 5 years ago..

Its not unreasonable to expect today's killer app not to run well on a 5 year old hardware.

I do stress that Lappies are built down to a size and a price. Everything about them is marginal and pushed to the limit. Which is why I don't use one much.

My wifes G5 mac is the size of a waste paper basket with about 10 fans in it. It delivers reliably.

Most laptops are the size of an A4 folder, and are expected to deliver the same. It simply is never going to happen until better hardware comes along.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your middle name is obviously "Dennis".

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Proof by assertion again?

I think you are simply wrong here.

Actually, that's pretty much what he said.

No its a hardware feature. A safety feature.

No, it happens that I have a machine that has more than adequate cooling, which laptops do not. That's WHY they shut down when they overheat.

Its known this can happen.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was still designed to support such utilization for whatever software was in vogue at the time.

Not running well is different to overheating and shutting down.

So you have little experience of what you are talking about. Thank you.

You have admitted you have little experience of laptops. Just leave it there.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Not at all.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Quote "The fan runs at full tilt much of the time, and if I look at the CPU usage under Windows Task Manager, I often see it at 100% when doing "

So we need a better definition of what the OP meant by "labour- intensive tasks". I hardly think running the idle task counts.

That would never be triggered iof the hardware didn't have a bug.

Yes when the cooling vents are clogged usually. I call that a hardware failure. Perhaps we should call it a user failure?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q