Cost of building Porch

Passed by this front porch being built nearby and thought i might try to build one myself. Its built on a concrete base that comes to near the level of the front door.

speaking to the builder I asked what he would charge to build one, he said £6,700. He said the door alone cost £700.

My son is always telling me I'm 40 years behind when i put a price on things, so i'm thinking with such high cost of the door and materials etc, that £6,700 might be a reasonable price for such a porch? Or if not what would be a reasonable price to pay for such a build these days?

Reply to
john reeves

Seven hundred quid for a vile, insecure uPVC door?!?!?! Good grief.

Reply to
Huge

What purpose does that porch serve, what use does that space serve,except for a few minutes on a rainy day. too small for a study, sewing room,or bedroom, expensive waste of space.

Reply to
F Murtz

F Murtz ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) wibbled on Tuesday 08 February 2011 12:03:

Frees up other space that is otherwise filled with boots and coats.

Good place to remove muddly footware and keep the house clean.

Somewhere for the deilvery bloke to leave a package without it getting rained on.

I could go on...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Depends which way it faces, dunnit? We're getting a side porch put on so that we can have a door from the utility room to the outside. That side wall faces north, and once you've cleared the north Kent coast, next stop is the North Pole. Also ours will be somewhat larger so we can put the washer/dryer in there too.

£700 is about right prolly for a door like that. Doan forget it's double glazed and should have decent locks on it.

Hmmm - I notice the rest of the dg lacks equal sight lines. That looks so tacky.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Probably reasonable, but you can get a better porch than that for £6,700

One wonders about the disability access, too..;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Boots, coats, an extra door between the house and the outside.

Ours (more expensive, a bit larger, quite a lot different in construction and hence nicer) means the kitchen no longer directly opens to the outside world. (yes, the kitchen is the first room people come to).

Reply to
Clive George

I'm sure you could pay a builder that much to contruct something like that, bearing in mind that a lot of the money will go on paying him to turn up, sit in his van and read the Daily Mirror.

I'm planning on building a porch of similar size myself this summer, so I'll cost that as I do it. Without the crappy plastic, obviously.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Are those the finished steps, or just some blocks lying about? (or both?)

Does the door really open outwards? How do you open the door without falling off the steps?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

geraldthehamster ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) wibbled on Tuesday 08 February 2011

15:43:

Double glazing panels are not hugely expensive by the metre - toughened single layer glass less so, so if one has the time, you could make the porch window frames yourself and manually glaze.

Some porches are made entirely out of timber bar the base.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We got a rear door with similar security and large window fitted for £700. So not sure where he is buying from!!

Reply to
Brian Watt

I think the builder was taking the p*ss. There is no way a construction like that could cost £6,700! You can pick up a DG UPC front door for less than £400

and the windows would cost less. If you were to use single glazed door and windows it would be even less. Do you really need double glazing on a porch?

Reply to
Wesley

011

I'm going to do it in timber, apart from a couple of rows of bricks up to the level of the house damp course. I'll get some suitable windows and a door from eBay, probably. Maybe something with stained glass. Unfortunately it will need to be flat roofed, as I have no space between the top of the existing doorway and the bungalow fascia, and have no desire to start interfering with the existing roof.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

That's what I thought. If it's not heated, and the main door is already double-glazed, then any sort of door will do. The same goes for the windows.

And would the outer door be locked? If not, and the inner door is the main one, it could be even cheaper.

Reply to
BartC