Landlord's gas safety certificate - cost?

Hi I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find a plumber who's even interested in doing one; worrying in itself, but also in that if and when I finally do sign somebody up I'm going to have to pay him silly money.

I may have no choice in the matter, but how much should I expect to have to pay for a two-up/two-down with boiler, gas fire and gas cooker. (Location is the Northwest FWIW).

Thanks David

Reply to
David

i have one done every year with a boiler service,£70. no cooker or fire though so id add maybe £20.

rpm

Reply to
R P McMurphy

It is important for you as a landlord to have this done, so why not take a small service agreement with British Gas.

Reply to
BigWallop

Because they're completely fecking useless as maintenance engineers ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In London I'd be looking for 60 quid for the inspection. Together with servicing I'd be asking 90. The fire will be about 50% of the total work.

I would also make it clear that if this is the first time that you have sought a safety inspection and the appliances have been installed a few years that you can expect there to be some remedial work to bring the installation up to scratch. Most likely this will fall into the At Risk category and not the Immediately Dangerous.

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Earlier this year I had a gas safety inspection done at a property I was interested in at Blackpool for £60. I asked the estate agent to recommend one, but I could just have picked a number in yellow pages under 'Corgi gas installer'. You only want a statutory inspection, not servicing the boiler or maintenance contract (which might well follow from the inspection).

Alec

Reply to
Alec

I noticed the plumbing magazine at trade counters had an article on British Gas servicing, and how they managed to service a boiler for a couple of years without even opening the casing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'll not argue that point, but they come in handy for this type of certification requirement.

Reply to
BigWallop

At least that would stop them breaking things, losing screws etc...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You should expect to pay slightly above the cost of a service to the three appliances. Possibly between eighty to one hundred pounds if all done at one visit and all is found to be well. Any gas installer worth having will carry out a service to the appliances, a check of ventilation and flueing, and a soundness (tightness to give it its new terminology) test of the gas pipework downstream of the meter, as part of the gas safety testing procedure.

If you cannot find a local installer try looking on CORGIs website for their list of installers in your locality

Reply to
John