laminating - how long ?!

do tell your cunning plan - all advice and tips well received !

Reply to
NC

I used the pulling bar instead of the tapping block. I found it more effective. Something about the geometry of where you hit the thing having a stabilising effect on the board, thus closing the gaps more effectively.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

His only cunning plan is getting someone else to do the first three rows. :-))

(sorry, I just couldn't resist the temptation) :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Well, it's almost embarrassing, and probably obvious to almost anyone else; However in the spirit of not letting anyone suffer for no good reason, I'll expose myself to doubtless much ribbing: (Although I don't recall seeing anyone else mention this method so far though!)

I just get SWMBO to actually take some time off from "supervising" and make herself useful, I just get her to stand on the first board, while I'm tapping the next onto the end of it, it's amazing how it stops them dancing about and let's you get a quick start on a room! ;O)

I'm embarrassed to say it took me nearly 5 minutes to "fall in" on this, however our Cosmetics Sales Doorstepper lady visited (groan!) during the job and proceeded to wish us luck and tell us how her hubby can turn his hand to anything and is seldom beaten, but for that very problem he gave up and took it back to B&Q, and now they had no skirting boards at all (I had to struggle to contain myself until she had gone). Once she'd left SWMBO and I exchanged several knowing glances, and a few sideways looks, while struggling not to take 10 minutes off laughing about it. Anyway, had it not been for all the much valued help from you lot, I'm sure we might easily have been in the same boat. I think I had better let her in on it all (as far as I understand it) next time she calls!

We went with the screwfix floor, and this does not need gluing, but is not relayable in my view; once clicked together, I have not so far found a way to remove a board (and a couple of times I have wanted to have another go at a board, and consequently spent much longer finding other solutions to what I felt was a problem), so be warned, if you go that route, make certain you are completely happy with each board BEFORE knocking it home. You'd be very lucky to get one back without damaging it otherwise, as these thing really do lock tightly together.

All that aside, we saved over £200 just by selecting the screwfix product over the B&Q floormasterloc system. I know the B&Q would have added the relaying ability, however I don't think it very likely that anyone would relay a floor sooner than say 3 years, and I'm not convinced B&Q would carry it anymore in 3 years, so adding further packs that relaying may well require, might not even be a possibility in reality. It's something of a moot point I'd guess.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

OI You! ;O)

Quite! (makes mental note to self, BW must be persuaded to try harder in future!) ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Ah, I already had the tapping block from screwfix, but needed a pull iron, so got the B&Q kit, the kit containing the iron includes a tapping block which, having tried it once, seems pretty damn useless to be honest! The B&Q pull iron and Screwfix block seem to make a pretty good team, I've even used them in unison on the last few rows where you can get the block in, but there's no real room for a hammer to swing; this greatly reduces any chance of the iron chewing up the tongue on the board's edge, but other irons may well have had this risk designed out of them in the first place for all I know.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

(but wanted to leave it in due its helpful and fun comments, but space is limited)

So you do get someone else to lay the first three rows ? :-))

LOL

Reply to
BigWallop