Laminate florring quote

My neighbour has had a conservatory built and has decided on laminate flooring. The conservatory fitters said they would do lay it for £20 per square metre. My neighbour is to supply everything i.e. flooring, underlay (thick type for concrete floor) and beading for the edges, they'll supply the sealant for sticking the beading!!!. His conservatory is a rectangle (4m x 3m), no alcoves, no bays, no radiator pipes, nothing! Is this a reasonable price or are they taking the ... I have said tell them to "go forth and multiply" but he thinks it's a good deal. I have said I'll help him do it but not for a couple of weeks, but he wants it laid this weekend and I'm busy at my Mums. Is this a reasonable price for the labour or should he expext something lower? We live in Leeds if that helps.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Depends, If you're running a business in fitting laminate then this is probably reasonable; However, I believe most DIYers are capable of fitting (particularly a 4x3m rect) in a reasonably short time. Personally, I'd do the work myself and save the £240 quid - that'd buy an awful lot of bacon butties and tins of beer for the friendly neighbour.

Sorry, not really answering your question, rather, reinforcing my DIY instincts.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd

A) Melamine laminated flooring isn't that suitable for conservatorie (risk of rappid changes in temperature). Wood-Engineered would b better.

£20 per sq m? Bit over the top, specially for laminate (click-system? in straightforward room

-- WoodYouLike

Reply to
WoodYouLike

I think £20 psm is excessive - it is not as if they are getting th stuff in the first place, just putting it down. I laid laminate in m conservatory (5m x 3m) for the first time I'd done it & it was dea easy. Tell him to wait & think about the £240 he'll be saving. borrowed the trade card off the builders of our conservatory & got th trade discount at Floors-2-Go - see if you can do the same

-- Pufter

Reply to
Pufter

I agree. We're in Leeds and Spouse would do it for £120 but I'm off to Oxfordshire tomorrow and he wants to play with his aeroplanes while the cat's away ... Tell the chap to do it himself and learn a (very simple) new skill.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Only in the London area I think. Even our price for installin unfinished solid or wood-engineered flooring, where we apply the finis on site, doesn't come that high ;-

-- WoodYouLike

Reply to
WoodYouLike

But, out of idle curiosity, would you turn up for a job for less than the £240 the OP's neighbour was quoted?

(Just banter, tis all)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Banter aside, Mike, yes, we would (depending on the distance). Business is not just about getting a specific minimum price. Anothe job well done for an exceptable prive is another satisfied customer, i another opportunity for highly rated and always welcome word-of-mout for any business ;-) (beats the price of an advertisement everytime

-- WoodYouLike

Reply to
WoodYouLike