Labour Cost for Fence Works etc

One thing that stands out clearly in your posts in this thread is that you would prefer to work/charge labour only. I think that is where you go wrong. Customers want a full package and are prepared to pay for it. Remember that people who use a handyman service usually do not have the confidence to do the job themselves and will also be as unsure about what parts to buy for you to do the job.

Keep it up and good luck.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

I agree, and very adaptable as well.

Alan may have completely different market conditions. For example, I can remember Dave saying that the Medway towns have a good supply of people who are relatively cash rich and time poor. Generally, such people are not as price sensitive as those lacking ability and either money or a sense of what things cost.

If that doesn't exist in Alan's catchment area or if marketing to date has not found them, then it's a problem.

There's a lot of things in what you've said here, Alan.

Advertising/marketing. How are you doing it and are you selecting the means to reach the target market?

For example - let's pretend that I'm one of Dave's target cash rich/time poor target customers in his area. How would I go about getting something done? I'm going to be in an office in central London, in an airport lounge or in another country. More than likely, I will type "handyman" and "rochester", "chatham", "gillingham" into Google, identify some likely candidates and either email or call them. I'm highly unlikely to look at the small ads in the local paper or in printed Yellow Pages or in the window of the paper shop. However, who is more likely to look in the latter? I'm not saying that the web is the be all and end all, but the point is to match means of reaching the target customer to what works for them.

You say that being a handyman implies that people expect you to be cheap. Have you looked at the mix of customer and made an assessment of their means and willingness to spend money? If they are all expecting "cheap" then either that really is true and the less price sensitive doesn't exist or you are not reaching them.

You mention that you like doing kitchens and bathrooms. OK. Perhaps that really says that you prefer more project based work with an outcome that makes a visible difference. Nothing wrong with that. Then you have to work out whether you are going to fit on behalf of kitchen studio or two or do designs as well (or perhaps get them done). There is an opportunity to make margin on materials as well although you have to consider whether you would be willing to just fit an assortment of unsuitable junk that the customer has bought from goodness knows where.

For kitchen work, you would probably need to become suitably qualified as an electrician or be willing to sub out the electrical work, and possibly CORGI to fit cookers and hobs and so on or again sub that out.

It's important to build a portfolio of work that you do into a photo album. Present it well. This gives future customers an indication of the quality of your work and also a source of ideas. Then it's identifying good suppliers with interesting products rather than just the run of the mill volume warehouse rubbish.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think you have answered the question Alan.

I'm always busy, at my prices, because I never stop trying to generate business - even when I'm already busy. The odd advert in the paper simply won't do the job.

I advertise in two local free papers, they are relatively small & low circulation compared to the main local - but they get read. The Leicester Mercury may have a huge circulation, but its difficult for you to stand out. Costs me £80 a month in total. Ads just feature the logo & contact details.

I can leaflet drop specific areas via those papers, even down to individual streets - £3 a 100. I do that every other month.

My van is highly visible. The logo is 4' x 2'6" and it has a list of what I do on the side. I wear overalls & polo shirts with the same logo. Does this work? Yes!

Got a job last month, couple moved from London into a new build. They called in a local blind company who have a shop at the end of the road they live in. They asked the guy fitting the blinds if he knew anyone who could do some jobs for them. He said he didn't, but he kept seeing this Medway Handyman van all over the place.

Two days later they saw my van parked in Tesco Express. They didn't want anything in Tesco, but turned around, parked up & searched the shop for me.

My web site gets me work. I've been on courses from the local enterprise agency & had some great help from people on this group. My Google rank is now pretty good. I grab free listings on any site I can - Landlordzone, Gay to Zed, Vivastreet, The Best Of, HandyLocals etc.

I get work from the councils Fair Trader Scheme.

All the independent places I buy stuff from have a pile of my cards. Every customer gets a fridge magnet & 3 normal cards.

The logo is important. Its on my web site, my adverts, my van, my clothing, my letterheads, my flyers.

I'm not in Yellow Pages or Thompson Local because of the outrageous charges. I think they are yesterdays papers anyway.

Leicester has a larger population than the Medway Towns. My daughter lived in Saxby St for two years whilst on her fast trac paramedic course with EMAS. We visited every month, so I know & like the town. Its a prosperous lively place, there must be enough work about.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yep excellent simple easy to use and rather helpful in that you know a man who can if you can't:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Same dimensions? ;-)

Vivastreet identified you if I enter "Rochester" and handyman but not Gillingham or Chatham.

Waste of time.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Alas no, I only have a 48" chest :-)

Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham & Rainham became the Medway Towns a while ago.

A lot of these 'free link' companies haven't yet realised that Medway is a Unitary Authority, so you only get the choice of 1 town, usually that where you are based.

An expensive waste of time.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman