kitchen worktops?

You have my sympathy ...

But I still ask how much time would be spent looking at it?

No idea what that is. Ours is a granite look-alike, it cost us nothing. In August we spent time with millionaire friends in Aberdeen, they had shiny granite tiles on their huge hall and kitchen floor but their kitchen surfaces were exactly the same as our counter - I looked underneath and saw the base :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Same when I did the bathroom. The dish went half way through the wall. I presume nextdoors was in a different place, since I would have otherwise encountered the back of her dish (which she says is still there). I fill the gap with half a brick well-mortared in !

We had such a cold tap coming out of the wall in the wash-house (which was originally "outside" off a roofed porch area, but had been walled in at some point). A hot tap had been added via a precarious length copper pipe all connected with very bulky compression joints.

We have such a cupboard all with solid doors which will go when the new downstairs toilet goes in, but SWMABO has insisted I try and move it. It's build in, so that may be tricky !

The lady next door still has her panty (I'll leave in that typo !) - it has a very large air brick to outside (typo is getting funnier now ...). I thus realised the point of the covered porch at the back - all carefully thought out by the designers. The kitchen had two doors next to each other, one for the pantry and one was the back door. A large airbrick vented the pantry into the covered porch, which provided shelter from the sun for the south-facing kitchen.

One thing we are not doing is knocking through back and front rooms, which probably 70 percent of the houses have done in the street. I'd like to build a larger porch and enlarge the hall area, but we'd have to lose the original front door with stained glass, which would be a shame.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Those are good materials. Our kitchen is ordinary materials but at their better end. So 18mm cupboards and 38mm worktops and doing fine after 17 years.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ours has a small casement window, part glass, part perforated zinc sheet.

Mind you, there was a door on the outside wall which was for the coal store, underneath the stairs and behind the pantry. Never thought about making it into a separate entrance to the pantry, a bit OTT ...

A lot of our neighbours have done that. We like to have retreats, especially when the children were at home.

Do you need to? Our front door has its original light which is a smaller and round verson (a galleon) of the hall and landing lights. We built a porch but the front door is still there.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We don't have children yet, but figured someone doing homework in one room, TV in the other etc.

We don't need to, its just I like large hallways, adds to the spacious feel I guess. At the moment the porch is just the enclosed arch at the front. I would remove the original inner door and build a new porch on the front, so the hall gets longer. Our stairs are quite near the front door at present and it would give more space for putting on coats etc, and its a nice place to put the Christmas tree ! Anyway, it's the extension out back next year. I've now got the foundations poured (dug by hand for various reasons !), so bricklaying starts next year when the weather is better and the evenings lighter. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Very wise. We didn't have a tv (still don't) but we had five children in seven years and needed to have somewhere quiet for us. The children need to get away from parents too.

It would be nice, but how much time do you spend in the hall? In your situation I'd concentrate on the living areas. We all have different needs and ideas though, I'm not preaching.

That's certainly a bonus. It becomes even more important when there are children, prams, toys and ... Oh how glad I am that ours have flown :-) Not that we hzve any more space, in fact there seems to be less ...

Well done! We're still thinking about an extension -first mooted 42 years ago :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher