Kitchen Extractor Fan Flue Location & boiler Flue location

My neighbour has had a cooker hood installed and the flue has been sited at head height on the boundary wall between his house and mine. The issue being that every time he cooks the fumes travel into my house should I have my french doors or downstairs windows open.

Also he has had his gas boiler replaced - this was positioned with the flue through the same boundary wall, I did not think this was allowed and asked him to consult the installer - soon after the flue was re-positiond, however, even though I think the flue now meets the regs I get the smell of exhaust gases travelling into my house should I have my french doors or downstairs windows open, there is also the constant irritating whine of the fan.

Can anyone advise me if there are any regulations that cover the positioning of extractor and gas boiler flues, the nuisence of smells and the constant whine from the boiler fan.

Thanks

Kev

Reply to
awtltd

He can't have anything pointing out of the party wall at you. Nothing about regulations, he just doesn't own the land that he's situated the flue over.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Is it as clear cut as that?

After speaking to him and asking him to re-site his extractor flue who do i need to speak to when he does not move it.

Kev

Reply to
awtltd

Firstly, I am not a lawyer and my advice is worth what you paid for it. Secondly, disputes with neighbours can affect property resale value. If you are thinking of moving in the next few years or decades, think very strongly before proceeding.

Personally, I would:

  1. Ask politely and give them time to make the arrangements (you've already done this bit).
  2. Write a letter (keeping a copy) giving them 2 months to remove the flue from your property. It is important that if it goes to court that you prove that you attempted the resolve the situation reasonably and have attempted to mitigate costs. The letter is an essential part of this. DO NOT make any threats in the letter, even of legal action.
  3. If this fails, begin proceedings in the county court, remembering to include the cost of court fees in the application, as it can be difficult/impossible to add them later.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just to be completely clear; his kitchen wall is directly on the boundary?

Reply to
Grumps

There has been a very similar thread on this recently in uk.legal.moderated. The boiler flue does not meet the regs: it is in violation of BS5440- (2000) and Building Regulations approved doc J since it should be no closer than 600mm from a boundary - certainly not _on_ the boundary and discharging over onto your side. _You_ can't get CORGI to take action over that, but the neighbour (or whoever paid the fitter to install the boiler) can. You could advise them of this and ask them to get CORGI to sort out with the fitter who installed it to get it repositioned.

On your side you have the Nuisance Act (or so I was advised by CORGI tech help - not that they are lawyers) which can be invoked by your Environmental Health people if the flue (and extractor fan) are causing you a, er, nuisance.

Reply to
john.stumbles

John, As I said The boiler flue has been repositioned and now meets the regs

- It's just the noise thing with that!

It's the position of the cooker hood flue thats the big issue.

Kev

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote:

Reply to
awtltd