Downlighters in a ceiling which is ireproof-Query

I am buying a new lower flat and have been told by the builders that it is not permitted to cut a hole which is bigger that a hole to take a wire for a light because I would be cutting the fireproof ceiling plaster and creating a fire hazard to the people above. Is this true? I live in Scotland in case that makes a difference to the rules
Blair

Intumescent fire hoods are available to sit ontop of the downlighter in the ceiling void. These serve to preserve the fire rating of the ceiling.
--
Ellis Greensitt, Site Admin, UK Electrcians Forum
http://supplychain.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

I got mine from TLC Direct see http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Security_Menu_Index/Fire_and_Smoke/Fire_Cover_Downlight/index.html
or http://tinyurl.com/cqthg
Rich.

creating
Basically yes. You might be able to do it safely with the correct parts (not just cutting a hole and inserting fittings), but the fittings will be unventilated, run overly hot and probably ping bulbs once a week. Besides, halogen downlighters are totally inappropriate to general lighting, as the illumination pattern is far from ideal. People fit them for "fashion" reasons, but they'll look pretty dated in a couple of years anyway, like Artex and laminate flooring.
Christian.
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:39:03 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

Our bulbs don't 'ping' every week.
If you are tall or have low ceilings they have a significant advantage over pendant lights. I agree about the Artex though - horrid stuff.
Rich.

I'm currently flooding our flat with dichroic downlights. Rgds,
Andy
:-)
LV DOWNLIGHTS REFELECT HEAT BACKWARDS;there have been fires where stuff in loft has been placed on or near the back of these units with no smoke hoods fitted. Manufacturers of plasterboard spend a fortune on getting products fire tested, Some more expensive d/lights now have heat protection at rear as standard.