Downlighters in a ceiling which is ireproof-Query

I am buying a new lower flat and have been told by the builders that it is not permitted to cut a hole which is bigger that a hole to take a wire for a light because I would be cutting the fireproof ceiling plaster and creating a fire hazard to the people above. Is this true? I live in Scotland in case that makes a difference to the rules

Blair

Reply to
Blair

Intumescent fire hoods are available to sit ontop of the downlighter in the ceiling void. These serve to preserve the fire rating of the ceiling.

Reply to
Ellis Greensitt

Basically yes. You might be able to do it safely with the correct parts (not just cutting a hole and inserting fittings), but the fittings will be unventilated, run overly hot and probably ping bulbs once a week. Besides, halogen downlighters are totally inappropriate to general lighting, as the illumination pattern is far from ideal. People fit them for "fashion" reasons, but they'll look pretty dated in a couple of years anyway, like Artex and laminate flooring.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I got mine from TLC Direct see

Rich

LV DOWNLIGHTS REFELECT HEAT BACKWARDS;there have been fires where stuff in loft has been placed on or near the back of these units with no smoke hoods fitted. Manufacturers of plasterboard spend a fortune on getting products fire tested, Some more expensive d/lights now have heat protection at rear as standard.

Reply to
Gel

Our bulbs don't 'ping' every week.

If you are tall or have low ceilings they have a significant advantage over pendant lights. I agree about the Artex though - horrid stuff.

Rich.

Reply to
Rich

I'm currently flooding our flat with dichroic downlights. Rgds,

Andy

:-)

Reply to
Pecanfan