Fitting downlighters in a ceiling?

This weekend I'll be fitting some LV halogen downlighters in the bathroom. So I'll be cutting holes in the ceiling into the attic which is currently insulated with 200mm of rockwool.

Can I leave the downlighters underneath the insulation or should I remove the insulation above the downlighters to prevent heat build up? Maximum lamp wattage will be 35W.

Thanks

Reply to
DIY-Not

Stick a traditional flower pot over each on. That will allow some heat to vent and stop them getting smothered in insulation.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi,

Also use NON dichroic bulbs if you want any heat from the bulb to go down into the room and not heat the ceiling/loft.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

They should be sealed boxed in above the light to stop the damp from the bathroom going up their and rotting the roof timbers. You can leave the insulation above the box the heat can dissipate downwards into the room. Use plasterboard and fire proof mastic to construct the box.

Reply to
FKruger

Someone's been watching too much facile TV. Reasonable striplight(s) if a large room or if smaller, a ceiling located CFL is adequate.

Reply to
clot

What I choose to install in my own bathroom is not your concern. If you wish to post some useful advice on installing downlighters then please go ahead. Otherwise f*ck off, muppet.

Reply to
DIY-Not

Almost about all the downlighters you can buy are designed to dump the heat above the ceiling. Don't do this with one of those.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you were particularly concerned about compromising a fire break, then there are products that address this as well:

John Rumm

Not wanting to get this wrong so what size?

I've got some 50W in the bathroom and kitchen ceilings that seem to attract woodlice which are subsequently grilled on the glass cover after falling into the fitting!

Its not that critical - a terracotta flow pot won't melt, and has a hole in the top. So long as it is big enough to cove the back of the fitting with a bit of space to spare it will allow some heat to escape.

Reply to
John Rumm

Make the eclosure big enough and it wont be a problem.

Reply to
FKruger