Kidde 1275H interconnectable smoke alarm

I'm considering installing 2 or 3 of the Kidde interconnectable mains powered smoke alarms (model 1275H, ~£17ea. at B&Q ) in my 2 storey detached house. (Largely because I'm gradually losing my hearing, and don't wear a hearing aid when in bed.)

I've downloaded the installation manual, and note that they need to be on the same circuit, and that I need to run an interconnect wire between my 2 or 3 units. A use for the lighting circuit earth wire at last!!! - perhaps not! The requirement for this interconnect wire* really makes them much more suitable for a new installation.

*Not mentioned on the external packaging, so it's not obvious whether it's a radio of wired connection.

Are there any other issues with them before I go ahead? e.g. False alarms from neighbours with similar on the same phase?

Thanks

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote

The Kidde smoke detector instructions I have just been reading say, and quite rightly so, "never use earth conductor to interconnect - use 1mm. 3 core and earth"

HLAH

Hi

The only method of communication between the devices is the interconnect wire so there is no possibility of interference.

I presume you were joking about using the earth wire? The interconnect cable is at mains potential so it would be potentially lethal to use the earth wire for this purpose.

Regards,

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in message news:454b3a8e$0$12182$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com...

You can get radio connected smokes. The price of these over standard cable connected ones is quite high but if decorations are a problem (tiled floors, newly papered walls etc) then they may be worth considering.

Not on the cable interconnected versions, and as I have never fitted the RF versions I cannot comment on them.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I used the Firex ones, but otherwise much the same; selection of three different detector types, and I used all three!

Obviously one can't use the earth wire, but 3 core plus earth at 1mm2 is not too bad. That gives power and interconnect, and the first one in the chain just has power. I used a completely separate circuit from the consumer unit.

No...the interconnect wire is the only thing that carries a signal, and that only runs *between* alarms.

I fitted a non-maintained emergency light on the same circuit, positioned above the stairs. This gives warning if the circuit has tripped, and also useful safe lighting in a power cut.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Very definitely!

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

I don't maintain high standards of decoration, but the thought of trying to bury or disguise the interconnection cable makes me think that radio types do need serious consideration. When I saw the attractively priced Kidde

1275Hs in B&Q I thought there must be some catch for my installation.

Thanks

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

think these bases can be used with (the matching) mains or battery alarms. Use the mains alarms, and only the interconnecting relies on the battery.

An alternative which would be worth considering if you are a little hard of hearing is

light comes on when the alarm goes off, and it has an LED emergency light for power failure (faint, but enough to escape by)

auctions

ps - just noticed the price on the second link - they are around half that price elsewhere!

auctions