KEF B110

Was looking at some info today on the KEF B110, and the KEF blurb says it should be front mounted on the baffle, recessed so the chassis is flush with the front of the baffle. Yet on perhaps its most famous application, the LS 3/5a, it's mounted to the back of the baffle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The LS 3/5A is not really an example of how the B110 had been intended to be used.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

That's how I did mine. Very fiddly making the recess around the hole.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

KEF didn't design the LS3/5a, they (and others) made it under licence.

Reply to
charles

Related but not relevant, I was looking up some replacements for the B110, and came across the Monacor 135/AD. It and many others significantly cheaper than elsewhere at:

RJH

Of course. It is a BBC design. I just wondered why they'd chosen to not mount it as designed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - it was primarily designed as a mid range unit. But that would involve a narrower frequency range than the BBC used it for? So any effects due to the mounting would still be present?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You need a router and guide small enough to do a circle that size. and make the recess before the main hole. The 'odd' bits for the mounting holes would need to be routed freehand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this to stop edge effects where the sound bounces off the edge of the baffle? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Funnily enough a friend around that era bought soem Philips speakers and the mid range unit in those was recessed into the baffle as well. I'd not really considered this aspect of speaker design before. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Which kind of begs the question if they had altered its mounting,would anyone have noticed the difference? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

no, not really.

Origi8nally you cut a circular or oval hole and mounted speakers behind that, then when routing became more normal, it was conventional to rout a recess for the speaker and front mount it. Front mounting also made boxes easer too make - you didnt need a detachable back to mount the speakers, just a detachable cloth baffle, or later on, when it became fashionable to expose the speakers, nothing at all.

Like most things hi fi, there is more bullshit talked about this than anything else.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could you make a composite baffle? One thick panel and a thinner one to make the recess?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I'm not sure what a mid-range unit covers, but at 10kHz you have a wavelength of 3.3cm. I would presume any step more than a 1/4 of this will cause some spatial changes.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Oh this was donks ago and I wouldn't have recognised a router if one had hit me in the gob. In fact I doubt if routers were invented then, after all I've never seen a picture of Joseph or Jesus using one. There again I understand the mains is pretty unreliable in the Middle East.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Ha! I've been and had a look and that's what I ended up doing!

They've served me well those speakers. Still sound great.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes it made it much easier to replace the upper and lower register tweeters and the crossover after my teenage daughter's party.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

FWIW I have Cambridge Audio R50s with B110 mid-range units, and they're front-mounted.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Very roughly 300 - 3000 Hz. 10 KHz is HF.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a fairly detailed BBC RD report describing the design of the LS3/5A:

[...] The construction is of 12 mm (½ in) birch plywood with fillets of beech. Although no difficulty was found with this construction for the original design (LS3/5), it was found that, for the LS3/5A, it was necessary to specify the wood more carefully than was originally thought necessary. The use of any type of hard wood such as Parana Pine for the fillets was found to be unacceptable as a clearly audible colouration was produced by a resonance of the l.f. unit on its chassis, and these fillets had insufficient mechanical impedance to reduce it; this matter is reported in more detail elsewhere[2]. In order to ensure that this resonance would not give rise to any further difficulties the side panels are damped with a layer of damping material and the top and bottom panels with two layers; in addition, a p.v.c. edging is applied to the chassis of the low-frequency unit so as to decouple it somewhat from the front panel. In order to damp the air modes of resonance inside the cabinet all internal surfaces except the front panel are lined with polyurethane foam; this has a thickness of 25 mm (1 in) on the top and bottom of the cabinet and 16 mm (¾??) on the sides and back. The cabinet is sealed so as to prevent air leaks which could give rise to extraneous noises resulting from the high sound pressures produced inside the cabinet; even screw holes are made air tight.

(c) Units

The low-frequency unit is a KEF type B110 unit specially selected to BBC specification; the nominal impedance is 8 ohms and the free-air resonance frequency is 35 Hz (with a statistical spread having 95% confidence limits at 33 and 40 Hz). [...]

This does tend to suggest that the mounting of the drive units has been carefully considered, and probably empirically optimised.

Reply to
Andy Wade